Sr. Manager, Casting Technology & Powder Operations
Posted on Nov 14, 2018 by Arconic
100 Technical DriveNew Kensington, PA
At least 10 year(s)
Job Description Primary Purpose of the Job:
This role is a Sr. Manager position leading the Casting Technology Division and Multi-Material Powder Facility. The incumbent will report to the Director of Materials and Surface Technology and will be responsible for leading and maintaining Arconic's core capabilities in casting, molten metal processing, and powder atomization in support of Arconic's business and technology strategy. The role will be accountable for setting the technology vision, growing and developing technical talent, identifying emerging trends in technology that can be integrated into Arconic's innovation portfolio, building strong ties into our production operations to deliver technical support, and execution on critical R&D, process technology, and operational excellence projects to improve Arconic's efficiency and quality.
Major Activities / Key Challenges:
- Develops and sets the strategic direction for Casting Technology Division and Powder Operations
- Identifies, hires and integrates appropriate talent to build and maintain bench strength in molten metal processing, casting, solidification, and powder technology
- Provides direct oversight and management of engineers and technicians working in the division
- Develops and manages a strategic workforce plan including succession planning and individual development plans in conjunction with division plans and objectives.
- Proactively coach/mentor others; particularly work with other division managers and leaders across the company to integrate into overall division plans and objectives
- Establishes a safe, empowering, creative and innovative environment to facilitate technical competence and growth of employees yielding results critical to our business
- Manages the department budget, forecast and financial metrics
- Building strong connection between Arconic business units, centers of excellence and plant locations to drive integration of technology strategy with operational targets
- Identify emerging technologies able to bring value-added attributes to existing or newly developed products/processes.
- Highlight potential new opportunities outside the corporation to the proper BU technical and commercial channels to incorporate into development programs.
- Identify, scope, justify, oversee and manage capital equipment strategy to support maintaining a technology leadership position in molten metal, casting and powder atomization capabilities
- Provide strong analytical and problem-solving skills to address technical gaps and identify approaches to solve techno/commercial needs.
- Understands and anticipates future business needs, identifies the resource and technology gaps and plans/executes for closing the identified gaps
- Works with appropriate BU resources to develop and influence technical strategies from which technical programs are defined.
- Provides direction and influence on the relevant IP portfolio
Essential Knowledge & Skills / Education:
- Strong working knowledge in Metallurgy, molten metal processing, casting, solidification, powder metallurgy, etc.
- Understanding of physical metallurgy knowledge of metallic alloys including Al, Ti and Ni
- Fundamental understanding of processing of metal alloys and knowledgeable of industrial scale plant processes
- Strong leadership skills, including a take charge attitude, ability to influence stakeholders, fosters collaboration, and builds empowering work environment with shared ownership for company's success
- Experience in dealing with business needs of customers, and strong connections to the businesses, including and established track record of delivering results to business through operational support.
- Demonstrated strength in R&D management skills, including people and organizational management
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills are especially important for this position as the candidate will be leading and managing cross-functional teams, reporting out to executive management and Business Unit leaders
- Comfortable dealing with ambiguity and demonstrated success in establishing vision and direction.
- Utilizes disciplined approach to solve complex materials problems including root cause analyses and six-sigma methodologies.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering from an accredited institution.
- Minimum 10 years of applied R&D and/or process/operational leadership experience in an industrial setting.
- Minimum 3 years' experience in manufacturing operations including powder atomization, powder metallurgy, molten metal/molten metal processing, or casting.
- Minimum 3 years' experience managing engineers and technicians.
- Employees must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
- This position is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) which requires U.S. person status. ITAR defines U.S. person as an U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
- PhD in an Engineering discipline including, Industrial Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering Physics, or Chemistry from an accredited institution.
- 5 years' experience managing engineers and technicians.
Arconic- send resume to
Affinity Executive Search