Dir, Competitive Aquatic Events
Posted on Nov 15, 2018 by YMCA
Focuses on enhancing the department's ability to support and deliver events that build capacity and maintain integrated programs.
YMCA of the USA
The Director of Competitive Aquatic Events is responsible for the coordination of aquatic competitive events and ensures Child Protection and Safe Sport best practices are implemented. The Director of Competitive Aquatic Events will work with other Y-USA Specialists as required for other management of the events and serve as the liaison to the events and planning team that may be required to support these events. This position will serve as the primary relationship manager with competitive aquatic volunteers and for establishing a board of governance to oversee competitive aquatics. The Director of Competitive Aquatic Events will partner with local YMCAs, including the regional coordinators, in planning all Aquatics events. All aquatic competitive events must support the Y-USA strategic plan and should be conducted within the plans, policies and practices established by the YMCA of the USA.
This position has the ability to work remote; relocation is not a requirment for this position.
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent experience is required
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a leadership/management role
- Minimum 7 years of conference/meeting planning or competitive event experience
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience working with YMCAs of different sizes or similar association setting
- Child Protection Risk Management and Aquatic experience is required
- Board Governance experience is strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate and coach staff and volunteers
- Demonstrated strong background developing and facilitating groups
- Strong interpersonal, verbal/written communication and presentation skills are required
- Demonstrated strong project management skills, analytical skills, and problem solving skills are required
- Must have a proven record of establishing and maintaining collaborative relation/partnerships with individuals across a broad range of groups
- Strong organizational and time management skills are required
- Must have the ability to adapt to changing environment and circumstances
- Responsible for the logistics, coordination, planning and success of all competitive aquatics program events as outlined annually
- Developing, establishing and sustaining board governance and volunteer management for competitive aquatic events
- Supervise Events Manager
- Works closely with and leads committees for all competitive aquatic events ensuring high quality and cost-effective events
- Understands competitive aquatic event needs and sport trends of and facilitates the discovery of innovative and appropriate responses
- Serves as a liaison between Y-USA Events and Planning Team, Marketing, Financial Development, Legal and Risk Management and Program Specialists and Meet Committee/Meet Director coordinating the vision of all groups
- Develops budget for competitive events in conjunction with Event manager, Aquatic Specialist and VP and works within the guidelines of that budget
- In coordination with Legal Department and Risk Management Team or 3rd party partners, ensures all Aquatic Safety Guidelines and Child Protection Guidelines are in place for all events. Ensures that sponsors, volunteers, coaches, and host facility staff are given accurate information in a timely fashion and recognized for their role at all events
- Develops and maintains key relationships with industry leaders and host facilities to ensure sustainability
- Coordinates volunteer assignments for all events (including meet director as appropriate)in advance and onsite and gives direction to host Y point person for coordinating the work of host Y volunteers
- Develops and implements evaluation tools for all events and provides recommendations for future events
- Provides input to Meeting Planner on, hotel contract, AV order, room set-ups, meal selections, master-billed rooms at the hotel and reviews hotel bill after all events
- Develops and executes a content plan for LINK to further knowledge sharing in line with knowledge management governance policies
Cause-Driven Leadership® Competencies
- Values. Demonstrates in word and action the Y's core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility and a commitment to the Y's mission, in all matters at all times.
- Inclusion. Values all people for their unique talents, and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion, and cultural competence.
- Relationships. Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y's work.
- Influence. Employs influence strategies that engage, inspire, and build commitment to the cause and overall Y goals.
- Communication. Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
- Developing Others. Recognizes and acts on the need to continually develop others' capabilities to attain the highest level of performance possible.
- Decision Making. Integrates logic, intuition, and sound judgment to analyze information to identify greatest opportunities, make sound decisions, and solve problems.
- Change Capacity. Leads self and others through change by navigating ambiguity appropriately and adapting well to new situations, obstacles, and opportunities.
- Emotional Maturity. Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills.
- Quality Results. Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences.
- Innovation. Participates in the generation, experimentation, and implementation of new approaches and activities that improve and expand the Y's mission and work.
$104,600.00 - $117,600.00
How to Apply
Opens a new window
Resumes Accepted Until