Sr Director, Demand Sensing
Posted on Nov 17, 2018 by Nike
Nike, Inc. products enable and inspire human potential, and it's up to the Nike Product Management team to define, drive and perfect those products and experiences for consumers around the world. Product managers lead the creation process, manage product lines, and maintain a keen understanding of consumer and market trends. Product Management employees skillfully operate at the intersection of buyer needs, technical feasibility and business objectives. Whether it's basketball or skateboarding, apparel or footwear, one thing remains constant: the Product Management team delivers world-class products to help athletes push the boundaries of their potential.
As the leader of Nike's Demand Sensing advanced analytics team, you will direct the priorities of an agile team of analysts, data scientists and data engineers in the development of a central demand forecasting capability. You will play a key role on a team of cross-functional partners to identify, scope, suggest new opportunities, and execute high-impact analytics projects to support Nike's demand forecasting capabilities. The team will work cross functionally with business end users, business intelligence, engineering, and architecture global and geo teams to gather and thoughtfully document feature requirements, then drive them through the product development lifecycle.
Keys to success include exceptional product management skills in an agile environment, deep background in managing global enterprise demand forecast systems, and a strong understanding and curiosity of how consumer and business value is created at a company like Nike. Your areas of potential impact include buying, planning, allocation, replenishment, pricing, and more.
You are as comfortable working with your technology partners to build out time series and machine learning forecast models as you are at strategizing new opportunities with partners from the planning and supply chain teams.
You've reached the point in your career where you've learned how to be effective by empowering others, but sometimes you crank out your own analysis because you just can't help yourself (even though it probably isn't the most "rational" use of your time). You desire to be a mentor and intellectual partner for your team, and your boundless curiosity is infectious. You know how to rise above the numbers and explain the essential idea to business users who don't always understand how the sausage is made. You instinctively minimize complexity, focus on opportunities to drive business value. While you rely on data to prove your point, you love to think outside the box and solve problems creatively. Your experience helps you prioritize and overcome blockers and guide the work of others on your team. You thrive in an entrepreneurial environment, and you are excited by the challenge of building something from the ground up. You ask questions, are continually learning as well as finding opportunities to share knowledge with others.
The role reports directly to the Sr. Director of Global Marketplace Analytics - Advanced Analytics.
- Lead the team that will write, drive, and prioritize thoughtful and detailed functional specifications for demand forecasting use cases then drive them via an Agile development methodology. Own the global marketplace, enterprise demand forecasting roadmap & delivery.
- Establish deep partnerships with critical cross-functional enablers including demand planning, business planning, merchandising, data enablement engineering, analytics platform engineering and enterprise data governance.
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners to lead a transition to new planning methods based on advanced analytics, automation and exception management. Promote the development of innovative products in collaboration with business and Technology stakeholders
- Prioritize the team's work based on the business impact of different solutions and the tradeoffs between internal customer needs, technology requirements and costs
- Understand how features are performing, the level of internal customer satisfaction, the business impact, and suggest improvements
- Proven ability to influence and communicate effectively both verbally and written, with other senior leaders and executives
- Navigate the global/geo/functional matrix through the building and leveraging of strong and lasting relationships throughout Nike
- Manage, mentor, and inspire a team; managing performance, goals and development potential
- Create and foster an environment that values and promotes autonomy, skill mastery, empowerment, transparency, innovation. and learning
- Evaluate potential new talent to build an awesome team
- Bachelors degree (Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science or related field) and a minimum of 10 years experience specializing in advanced analytics, BI, and/or data products. E-commerce and store retail experience preferred.
- Previous leadership experience of an analytical organization (previous people management experience of at least 5 years required)
- Excellent collaboration and relationship management. Proven track record of working cross functionally to develop innovative solutions using advanced analytics
- A strong problem solving and analytical mindset. Excellent critical thinking skills. Strong strategic thinking.
- Experience building and maintaining production analytics systems and models at enterprise scale, specifically large forecasting systems.
- Proven ability to sift through data, identify critical information, analyze, develop hypothesis and make recommendations to technical and non-technical audiences and senior leadership teams.