Dir, Sports & Healthy Lifestyles
Posted on Nov 20, 2018 by YMCA
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers - to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852...
YMCA Flushing Branch YMCA
Location Flushing, NY
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers - to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Flushing YMCA is seeking a Director, Sports & Healthy Lifestyles who will provide direction and leadership for the Healthy Lifestyles and Youth Sports departments. The Director, Sports & Healthy Lifestyles will be responsible for strategic planning, program development, volunteer/committee development, facility management, and Human Resources. The incumbent will also implement the YMCA of Greater New York mission, vision and values in the areas of staffing and member retention.
- Bachelor's degree in Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology or other related field. Master's degree in Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology, or related field preferred.
- Minimum of three years of commensurate experience in a fitness supervisor / management position.
- Knowledge of budget processes preferred.
- Current CPR, First Aid, AED certifications.
- ACSM, NASM, NSCA, AFAA or ACE certifications are a plus.
- Knowledge of operating programs and services within Sports and Healthy Lifestyles Principles.
- Certifications including; Foundations of Strength and Conditioning, Group Exercise, AS400, and Child Abuse Prevention.
- Excellent hospitality, interpersonal and communications skills.
- Bi-lingual in Mandarin, Cantonese or Korean preferred.
- Must be available to work some evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Recruit, develop, train, evaluate and supervise all staff and volunteers.
- Plan, schedule and evaluate all related programs and services.
- Provide outstanding hospitality to all members and guests.
- Adhere to Association Healthy Lifestyles and Sports guidelines.
- Develop, track and control the department budget, in accordance with Branch and Association guidelines.
- Assist in Annual Campaign efforts.
- Direct the scheduling, maintenance and repair of department areas and equipment.
- Research, facilitate and build quality programs that provide member satisfaction.
- Work within the community to foster a positive image and encourage good public relations.
- Build relationships with local schools, clubs, secondary schools, organizations, businesses, professional teams, coaches, elite athletes and agents.
- Serve on Branch Leadership Team and as liaison to the Association's Healthy Lifestyles Cabinet.
- Conduct monthly/bimonthly Goal Setting and Review sessions with each staff.
- Set annual priority objectives to improve service, based on annual evaluations and feedback from staff, members, volunteers, and guests.
- Understand, promote, model, and communicate the YMCA's core values of respect, responsibility, caring and honesty.
- Maintain required certifications, tracked in Club Connect.
- Direct the scheduling, maintenance, and repair of Department facilities and equipment.
- Have a thorough knowledge of branch emergency procedures, and take appropriate action for emergency situations.
- Serve as branch Manager-on-Duty (MOD), as assigned, and work with the Board of Managers and Committees, as needed.
- Actively participate in all trainings, designated meetings and special events.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please send your cover letter and resume with subject line " Director, Sports & Healthy Lifestyles " to or to:
Attn.: Tiffany Dunbar
138-46 Northern Boulevard
Flushing, NY 11354
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
New York City's YMCA | WE'RE HERE FOR GOOD.
Salary $53,000.00 - $65,000.00
How to Apply
Apply by Email
Apply by Mail to: Tiffany Dunbar, 357 9th St, Brooklyn NY, 11