Resident Camp Program Director
Posted on Nov 14, 2018 by YMCA
Exciting opportunity for a full time, live-on Program Director at our beautiful resident camp just east of Burlington, WI.
Camp MacLean YMCA
The Resident Camp Director provides operational leadership to YMCA Camp MacLean to ensure there is high-quality programming to meet the camp needs and goals for program enrollment, quality, camper experience, and budget for summer resident camp, summer day camp, and all family programs. This includes enhancing the camper experience, optimizing program enrollment and revenue/budget and ensuring a safe environment for all participants and staff. Provides leadership and supervision that drives team engagement, performance and development. This role resides on camp property, with housing provided by the camp.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in Recreation Management or related field
- 2 or more years of previous YMCA summer resident camp leadership experience or equivalent.
- Commitment to, and a passion for YMCA Camp MacLean's mission.
- Experience leading, motivating and supporting a diverse, high-performing team including identifying, selecting, onboarding, developing and evaluating team members and facilitating change.
- Strategic thinking skills including effective planning, setting goals, monitoring progress, tracking results and making appropriate adjustments to plans based on circumstances and context.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple, competing priorities to maximize personal and team effectiveness.
- Customer service orientation, with the ability to effectively communicate on a regular basis with internal customers, build relationships, manage customer expectations and take responsibility for a high level of service.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively build and maintain relationships with campers, team members and other stakeholders and constituents.
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), email; ability to learn and adapt to new technology.
- Previous training and/or experience in high ropes courses and adventure/challenge programs.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule to include nights and weekends.
- Excellent organizational, writing, and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrates evidence of YMCA Team Leader competencies in previous experience or practice.
- Meet physical qualifications required as outlined in job description. The YMCA will provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities.
Camper and Program Experience
- Ensure procedures, policies and public relations at all times.
- Responsible for the development, implementation, management, growth and evaluation of all assigned camp programs to include summer resident camp, summer day camp, family camps, and other programs as developed or assigned.
- Serve as resident host to facilitate a quality experience for all campers, including assigned groups (Includes weekends & nights). Reside on camp property, housing provided by camp.
- Responsible for overseeing adventure/challenge/high ropes activities within programs.
- Participates in direct service as needed to facilitate program operations.
- Work closely with the Food Service Manager to coordinate food service to camper groups.
- Collaborates with other team members within camp on programming to ensure a high-quality camper experience.
- Identifies, manages and motivates a high-performing team that accomplishes program objectives.
- Establishes, monitors and evaluates team goals and performance standards. Coaches, trains and develops team members to optimize performance and enhance member experience.
- Coaches and mentors staff to support them in delivering safe, engaging and well-organized program services. Completes formal staff evaluations for performance reviews and provides coaching and intervention as necessary.
- Recruits, hires, onboards and trains new staff and provides ongoing trainings in accordance with training designs. Facilitates all-staff meetings and in-services. Responsible for ensuring staff are compliant with required trainings and certifications.
- Manages time and attendance for current staff, ensuring that time is accurately recorded in the HRIS system.
- Recruits and trains volunteers to meet the needs of the programs. Evaluates volunteer work and strategy to ensure volunteers are used appropriately.
- Responsible for recruiting, hiring, training, and supervising part-time and/or seasonal staff that are needed to facilitate camp programs within assigned departments.
- Responsible for a program staff of over 50 counselors, junior counselors and support staff.
- Manages program budget, including forecasting revenue, managing program margins and expenses, to meet financial targets. Monitors and reports on program financial performance. Provides key input to develop program budget.
- Responsible for the marketing of all assigned programs. This includes preparation and dissemination of camp literature as well as communicating in person, on the phone and via social media to potential families and campers.
- Oversees maintenance of program guides, customer management system and online registration site to market programs to members and the community.
- Works to keep facilities safe, clean and inviting by adhering to association standards. Promotes the value of keeping the camp welcoming and safe with staff.
- Work with the Camp Executive Director to learn all facets of camp programming and operations beyond assigned programs. Serve as one of three camp directors responsible for general camp operation.
- Identifies, escalates and rectifies potential risks that could threaten the safety, health or well-being of participants or employees.
- Responsible for maintaining accurate files and records.
- Responsible for maintaining the proper use of all camp equipment.
- Supports the YMCA's mission and camp operations as needed.
Child Abuse Prevention:
Supports the YMCA's commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
Commitment to Inclusion:
Supports the YMCA's commitment to inclusion of all members as required by Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Job responsibilities may include implementing program modifications for persons with cognitive, behavioral or physical disabilities, including but not limited to the injection of medical glucagon to members with Type 1 diabetes in emergency situations. Appropriate training and development will be provided to YMCA team members based on your role and responsibilities.
How to Apply
Opens a new window
Resumes Accepted Until