Head of Application Development
Posted on Nov 19, 2018 by National Basketball Association
As a global sports and media business, the NBA is so much more. While Basketball Operations runs the league's on-court activities, other departments manage relationships with television and digital media partners, develop marketing partnerships with some of the world's most recognizable companies, oversee the licensing of NBA merchandise, and handle a wide range of responsibilities that drive the NBA's success.
Position Summary Leading the NBA Application Development group, the Senior Vice President Application Development is a results-oriented executive with demonstrated experience in enterprise technology strategy and delivery, who works closely with both senior business executives and IT technical teams to deliver world-class software solutions that meet business needs and support the NBA's 2025 goals for revenue and fan growth. Reporting to CTO, this executive will be responsible for building and managing a team consisting of development and engineering professionals focused on scaling and driving innovation around the enterprise, rationalizing systems, and developing applications based on data-driven decisions.
Named as one of the top 10 most Innovative Companies by FastCompany, the NBA continues to grow rapidly in popularity and scale across the globe - and technology is a key ingredient in supporting our ambitious goals. We need a software engineering leader that can come in and execute against this vision by setting the strategic product and technical direction for all enterprise applications.
The ideal candidate will have proven leadership, technology general management experience and have previously built robust, scalable platforms/products by rapidly iterating, constantly learning and optimizing. This executive should be well versed and have tenured experience to provide execution and product planning to foster the growth of a highly scalable and mission critical environment. Additionally, she/he should be well versed in the following areas: Web Infrastructure/Architecture Design, Application Support and Dev Ops, Mobile App Development. We need someone who will be able to balance a comprehension of the rapid pace of technology change with an expert ability to manage client relationships and expectations. This person must be a trusted and respected evangelist for technology evolution while firmly grounded in operational management prowess with respect to budget, headcount, bandwidth, storage and capabilities issues.
This role is strategic, creative, analytical, and for the ideal candidate, hands-on. There should be a player-coach mind-set; an in-the-trenches style and a fearless willingness to roll up the sleeves - diving into technical details when necessary. A technology background consisting of a broad array of systems and platforms would be supreme. Bringing contemporary ideas and technology to the company is mandatory; creating and setting industry standards, while constantly raising the bar internally is ideal. We're looking for someone who is laser-focused on delivering frictionless technology products/experiences. This will be a creative individual who is excited about inventing the future with us and creating solutions to complex technical challenges that drive game-changing innovation.
You'll need to wear many hats, so flexibility and a can-do attitude are essential!
- Oversees the strategic development of mission-critical systems to support all business units.
- Interacts regularly with senior business leaders to understand global/multi-League/department business requirements.
- Defines technical and application strategies to support business needs; considering IaaS, SaaS, PaaS, and custom development as appropriate, weighing the benefits of functional requirements vs. cost vs. time to deliver vs. long-term support requirements.
- Nurture an organization that is committed to constant improvement and iteration of its products and services - implement Agile development practices focused on accelerating delivery without compromising on quality.
- Create a data & analytics roadmap for the organization, including support the following: customer data insights to optimize engagement & monetization of NBA assets; embrace similar data-driven decision-making for internal applications; leverage internal systems data to drive opportunities for streamlining employee workflows (information bots, optimizing intranet search, etc.).
- Drive a strong engineering culture based on transparency, collaboration and teamwork.
- Applies industry best practices, cutting-edge technologies and software engineering principles to solve business problems while also achieving long-term scalability and reduced operational costs within the organization.
- Oversees large teams on complex, enterprise-wide projects from conception-to-completion.
- Defines strategy for onsite/offshore/near-shore support of systems.
- Sets standards for system development, production support, SDLC and application lifecycle management across the entire Application Development group.
- Defines SLA's and programs for continuous improvement across all development teams.
- Manages the Application Development capital and expense budgets.
- Skilled in business, technical management and people leadership.
- Proven experience in cloud technologies and application architectures. Proven experience in systems development for a mobile workforce and a highly dynamic organization.
- Understanding of industry trends and emerging systems development technologies.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) with the proven ability to create business cases/ ROI statements that will gain support from business partners.
- True business leadership skills with a proven track record of success in leading motivating and inspiring a large web technology operation.
- A demonstrated track record of success in forging and developing excellent relationship with key clients and stakeholders.
- Executive presence with the ability to interpret technology issues for consumption by non-technology leaders.
- Expert knowledge in the areas of Product/Program Management in the web technology space, Development and development cycles relating to delivering web-based products and management of infrastructure and hosting methodologies and costs associated with such activities.
- Must have direct P&L and budgeting experience in a development environment with a demonstrated track record of expertly managing costs and deliverables without sacrificing quality.
- The ability to employ proven resource management techniques with an expertise in costing methodologies such as capital/operating expense management and tracking development hours.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills with the experience and ability to present content to C-Level executives.
- Develop and sustain a professional organization by hiring, retaining, developing, empowering and motivating the technology team.
- Conduct proofs of concept on leading edge technologies to identify new capabilities for the technology roadmap.
- Strategy consulting, corporate strategy and planning or product strategy within a technology company; enterprise technology experience is critical.
- Ability to structure analysis and drive strategic answers to address novel and ambiguous issues.
- Ability to translate ideas into solutions based on industry and customer insight.
- Knowledge of all aspects of technology operations including infrastructure, applications, and security.
- Experience building applications in the cloud - ideally AWS and/or Azure - with knowledge of the skill sets required to support the transition from on-premise to the cloud.
- Proven experience with a multitude of technologies such as Architecture, Micro-Services, SOA, Systems/Storage, Compute Platforms, Cloud, Databases, Operating Systems, SaaS/PaaS/IaaS, Enterprise Integration, Datacenter Planning, Business Continuity, and Disaster Recovery.
- Experience building production-quality software for use by external customers.
- Experience leading discussions around technical architectures and trade-offs of various technologies.
Educational Background Required
- 15+ years of experience in the field or a related area.
- Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or Engineering
We Consider Applicants For All Positions On The Basis Of Merit, Qualifications And Business Needs, And Without Regard To Race, Color, National Origin, Religion, Sex, Gender Identity, Age, Disability, Alienage Or Citizenship Status, Ancestry, Marital Status, Creed, Genetic Predisposition Or Carrier Status, Sexual Orientation, Veteran Status, Familial Status, Status As A Victim Of Domestic Violence Or Any Other Status Or Characteristic Protected By Applicable Federal, State, Or Local Law.
Nearest Major Market: New York City
Nearest Secondary Market: Newark
Job Segment: Application Developer, Developer, Engineer, Consulting, Program Manager, Technology, Engineering, Management