Vice President, Tournament Dir (PGA Tour Event)
Posted on Nov 15, 2018 by Octagon
THE JOB / Vice President, Tournament Director (PGA Tour Event)
We are expanding our footprint in the Bay Area and we're looking for a Tournament Director to join our growing team. In this new role you will lead the day-to-day preparation and execution of a full field PGA Tour event in San Francisco. The tournament will be taking place in September and is a high-profile event that promises to be an exciting new opportunity for us.
Your primary responsibilities will be to create, pitch and market the value proposition of sponsorship packages across the corporate marketplace as well as to manage all of the tournament operations & logistics with the PGA Tour, title sponsor, host site, foundation, city officials, corporate partners and the various other internal and external stakeholders associated with it.
Ideally, we are looking for someone who is entrepreneurial, has PGA Tour experience, a well-connected network within the corporate ecosystem and an in-depth understanding of the tournament management business.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT OCTAGON'S EVENTS & EXPERIENCE TEAM
We are a dynamic group of professionals that run world class events around the country. Our model is to create and produce successful, sustainable events by merging sports, entertainment, culinary and arts with philanthropy in markets that recognize the importance of cultural enhancements in the development of the quality of life in its community. We first set out to understand the marketplace and, by leveraging these insights, we craft a week-long series of events that bring the sponsoring brands to life and elevate a region for years to come.
We are passionate about our work. The client comes first. We make smart decisions based on long term gains, not short term needs. We support our teammates and help them to improve. We have fun. We run the best events, because we are smart, diligent, and thoughtful and we believe that every experience matters.
THE WORK YOU'LL DO
- Be at the forefront of community outreach and strategic partnerships in San Francisco market
- You will be responsible for revenue generation in the form of sponsorship dollars and will create a strategy with revenue targets for both events
- Responsible for forecasting and planning event budget
- Proactively bring new ideas to title sponsor, event partners and community
- Pitch, close and implement comprehensive branding plans for both the event and event partners
- Together with the title sponsor, corporate partners and colleagues you'll oversee that branding and messaging are clearly communicated and incorporated throughout all facets of events and programs
- Collaborating with event and venue staff, you'll ensure successful execution of event and partnership integrations
- Build, facilitate, manage and execute operational plan of various ancillary events in conjunction with the PGA Tour event
- Outside of this specific event, you will work within Octagon family to collaborate and secure cross selling opportunities
- Manage organic revenue growth on clients
- Responsible for identification of new business opportunities
- Assist in leading a team(s) on new business pitches
THE BIGGER TEAM YOU'LL JOIN
Where others see complexity, we see possibility.
Octagon is the global sports, entertainment and experiential marketing arm of the Interpublic Group. But if that classification doesn't do it for you, and it shouldn't, let's take it a step further.
We are what we believe. And we believe that while the world of sports and entertainment is full of opportunities and possibilities, sometimes the amount of choice can seem a little overwhelming. Even daunting.
That's where we come into play.
At Octagon we inspire brands, talent, and our people to see the world for all its potential. We then help break down the complexity and push forward so you can make your next right move.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- You have a passion for and expertise in sports, entertainment, large scale community events Bachelor's Degree plus 10 years relevant experience in golf/sports/event management sales business
- PGA Tour experience is a must.
- You're at home in a boardroom and are no stranger to pitching and closing deals
- You know how to match and market the value proposition of what you have to offer to a client's objectives.
- You have a proven track record of driving sponsorship sales (revenue).
- A keen sensibility for identifying potential opportunities for revenue growth and new partnership opportunities.
- You're a born relationship manager and can help clients and partners navigate a wide array of products and services
- You have compelling examples of how you've built positive staff and client relationships, as well as managing "up and down"
- You have experience managing and maintaining sales lists and budgets
- Your organizational skills are excellent, as are your attention to detail and the ability to multi-task
- Your written and verbal skills and ability to communicate clearly and professionally are superlative
- No job is too small for you to assist with when it comes to overall account team duties and additional programs
- Motivating fulltime and event staff is in your DNA
- Ability and flexibility to travel and weekend/holiday work as needed approximately 25%
Octagon is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.