Engineering Program Director
Posted on Nov 12, 2018 by Nike
Innovation is oxygen for Nike, Inc., and the company depends on its talented, global workforce to breathe originality and curiosity into everything they do. The Nike Advanced Innovation team strives for lighter, faster, bigger, smarter, smaller, more efficient, more sustainable and more personal. They imagine, research, analyze and invent the next industry-changing technology to advance athletic performance. In roles that span research, design, materials and manufacturing, the Advanced Innovation team looks to the future and focuses on making the seemingly impossible, possible.
Housed inside Nike's Advanced Innovation organization, the Smart Systems team engineers simple, disruptive products that are globally recognizable, such as the Nike+ FuelBand, HyperAdapt 1.0, and NikeConnect. Nike Smart Systems executes electronics integration from early concept to end-of-life, and everything in between. As an Engineering Program Director for Nike Smart Systems, you will play a pivotal role in delivering game-changing products and experiences to athletes around the world.
Engineering Program Directors are responsible for providing program integration leadership working with internal and external multi-disciplinary development teams to ensure key program deliverables are properly integrated, de-risked, and completed. You'll lead efforts to drive informed decision-making within the framework of the Nike's product creation processes. You'll be responsible for building and maintaining multiple master program schedules, tracking resource needs, mitigating risks, and tracking project financials. You'll ensure project momentum continually moves forward at an optimal pace on all fronts and coach cross-functional teams as necessary to follow informed project decision making processes that result in effective risk mitigation and impactful scope change assessments.
In this role, you will be required to:
- Provide deep experience in leading multi-disciplinary hardware & software engineering program teams at an expert level.
- Demonstrate understanding and practice in core project management skills and schedule management, issue and risk management, and meeting facilitation.
- Lead with expert knowledge of the product development processes to ensure all programs are completed on time, proven to meet or exceed product requirements, and fully integrated within the Nike Go-to-Market processes.
- Define and map the essential informational inputs that allow integrated program teams, stakeholders, and leadership to make informed decisions and align on most critical program success criteria.
- Demonstrate mastery of vendor engagement practices, proposal evaluation processes, contract negotiation techniques, directing scope of work at highest value proposition levels, and ultimately successful delivery of contracted scope of work.
- Apply "positive skepticism" with appropriate consideration and weighting of company goals against the objectives of the team and program deliverables, especially when coaching program teams through complex issues.
- Bachelor's degree in technology, sciences, engineering, industrial engineering or a related field.
- 2 years' additional industry experience may be considered in lieu of a degree. - Master's Degree is preferred.
- Minimum 12 years of work experience in technical roles, including 6 years minimum of program management experience.
-PMP certification preferred
- Proven full life-cycle hardware program management leadership experience in the consumer electronics, fitness, or medical industry.
- Proactive, solutions-orientation with a history of solving unique, complex problems that have a broad, inter-connected impact on the business
- Superior communication, troubleshooting, time-management, and analytical skills
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time, including internationally.
- Available for late afternoon/evening conference calls during NPI program phases.