Posted on Nov 15, 2018 by Equinox
Reporting to the Assistant General Counsel, the newly-created Counsel role will be primarily responsible for supporting the organization's legal needs with respect to digital/technology, privacy and commercial matters. The Counsel must have expertise in privacy and technology matters strong contracts drafting and negotiating experience, and an appetite for learning and counseling within new or changing areas of the law. The Counsel should be a business-oriented lawyer with the ability to recommend solutions and strategies to a high-growth business and be able to manage multiple, complex projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Provide legal support on all digital, technology and commercial matters, working closely and collaboratively with product development, digital marketing, technology, operational and retail teams
- Draft, review, and negotiate a variety of agreements, including those in the areas of web/mobile and software development, hosted services, procurement, confidentiality, consulting services, and other commercial and corporate initiatives
- Advise on best practices and compliance with global privacy and data protection laws, including by supporting a privacy by design approach and overseeing all legal and regulatory aspects of data collection and use, privacy disclosures and transparency, data security and breaches, and the use of location-based services, biometrics and emerging technologies
- Assist in developing or enhancing new processes, policies and procedures and implementing compliance training and monitoring
- Work collaboratively with and support colleagues within the Legal Department
- 4-6 years of legal experience handling a broad assortment of digital, privacy and commercial matters, with a focus on transactional, corporate and compliance matters
- Prior in-house experience at a fast paced and dynamic organization preferred
- Excellent academic credentials, including a JD from a top law school
- Admission and member in good standing of the New York bar
- Experience with consumer-facing technologies or products a plus
- Familiarity with relevant regulations including CAN-SPAM, TCPA, PIPEDA, CASL, and GDPR
- Aptitude for learning and understanding underlying technologies and products; prior experience in technology, digital or information security fields a plus
- Strong business instincts and acumen and the ability to assess legal risk
- Exceptional analytical, writing, and communication skills
- Excellent project management skills combined with strong attention to detail
AS A MEMBER OF THE EQUINOX TEAM YOU WILL RECEIVE:
- We offer competitive salary and benefits
- Complimentary Club membership
- 30- 50% discounts on all Equinox products and services including Personal Training, Private Pilates, Spa and Cafe' services and Shop items
This Job Description is intended to describe the general requirements for the position. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Other duties not listed here may be assigned as necessary to ensure the proper operations of the department.
Equinox is an equal opportunity employer. For more information regarding our career opportunities, please visit one of our clubs or our website at
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines. Must have a legal right to work in the United States.