Posted on Nov 16, 2018 by New York Life Insurance Company
A career at New York Life offers many opportunities. To be part of a growing and successful business. To reach your full potential, whatever your specialty. Above all, to make a difference in the world by helping people achieve financial security. It's a career journey you can be proud of, and you'll find plenty of support along the way. Our development programs range from skill-building to management training, and we value our diverse and inclusive workplace where all voices can be heard. Recognized as one of Fortune's World's Most Admired Companies, New York Life is committed to improving local communities through a culture of employee giving and service, supported by our Foundation . It all adds up to a rewarding career at a company where doing right by our customers is part of who we are, as a mutual company without outside shareholders. We invite you to bring your talents to New York Life, so we can continue to help families and businesses "Be Good At Life." To learn more, please visit LinkedIn , our Newsroom and the Careers page of .
This Associate position would be a multi-functional tax position (state, withheld taxes and federal), but would be responsible primarily for work assignments related to state/local, withheld and unemployment taxes. Responsibilities would include:
- Prepare estimated and annual state premium and income taxes
- Assemble other various tax filings: Sales and use, property taxes, assessments and license filings
- Prepare quarterly/annual federal/state/local withheld tax and unemployment returns
- Perform daily tax withheld payments
- Provide timely responses on external and internal correspondence
- Perform monthly accounting and reconciliation of general ledger accounts
- Keep abreast of current developments in the state tax area
- Proactively interface with business areas throughout the company to identify process improvements
- Participate in any other tax related projects determined by management
- 2-4 years of experience in accounting or taxes
BS/BA in Accounting or Finance; Master's Degree desirable --MS or MBA but not required
Understanding of state tax compliance, payroll taxes and the life insurance and asset management businesses would be a plus.
- Ability to work as part of a team is essential, should be able to work collaboratively with co-workers
- Display an attitude of continuous learning and personal development.
- Has experience applying problem solving skills to situations and can present resolution options to supervisor
- Works independently but knows when to reach out to manager for assistance.
- Should be assertive and articulate in oral and written communications when interfacing with external contacts and internal business areas.
- Intermediate Microsoft Office skills required (Excel, Word, Powerpoint). Knowledge of Tritech Premium Tax Software, Corp Tax and/or other databases or tax technologies tools is a plus.
- Requires knowledge and experience in own discipline; still acquiring higher-level knowledge and skills
- Builds knowledge of NYL, processes and customers
- Solves problems in straightforward situations
- Analyzes possible solutions using experience, judgment and precedents
- Receives a moderate level of guidance and direction
Functional Knowledge : Has general understanding of NYL's businesses and uses this understanding to accomplish own work assignments related to withheld, unemployment and state/local tax filings, account reconciliations, balancing tax ledgers and other tax projects determined by management.
Problem Solving : Solves problems in straightforward situations; analyzes possible solutions using education and/or equivalent experience, judgment and precedents. Frequently questions the way things are done today and looks for ways to simplify or automate current work.
Decision Making/ Nature of Impact : Has some latitude to make decisions within guidelines and policies that impact the quality of own work and the work of others on the team. Takes the initiative to do the fact-finding, research and presents several potential solutions for decision points.
Communication Requirements : Summarizes and explains information to others in a clear and concise manner.
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: .