Statistics Analyst II
Posted on Nov 14, 2018 by ESPN
Sports Data Analyst II is an entry-level role on the Stats & Analysis team within ESPN's Stats & Information Group. Analyst IIs will develop and apply advanced-level knowledge of the tasks, assignments, and duties that are part of production in the Stats & Analysis newsroom. In support of the team's mission of providing accurate, timely, and insightful sports data to ESPN platforms worldwide, Stats Analyst IIs must have the ability to lead peers and part-time employees, and to contribute to their continual improvement and development.
Candidates must have a thorough knowledge of sports statistics, current events, and scorekeeping rules for the sports that Stats & Analysis covers. They must be able to perform at a high level and demonstrate leadership competencies in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment. They will be assigned roles in production that require them to identify and rectify issues jeopardizing the delivery of timely, accurate data. Resourcefulness in addressing challenges is a key trait.
Stats Analyst IIs will have a passion for sports statistics and the stories they tell. They must be able to recognize statistical events that help explain why a team won or lost. By using stats to help tell stories, Analyst IIs support ESPN platforms, including television studio and event productions and digital media.
Those candidates with specialized training, skills, and knowledge - such as in advanced mathematics, economics, databases, SQL programming, etc. -- can use their skills in support of Stats & Information projects and story-telling.
- Ensure sports data distributed by Stats & Information is accurate, timely, and insightful.
- Contribute to the development of others by offering feedback and taking advantage of coaching opportunities.
- Work in individual settings and in groups to deliver accurate play-by-play, clock-and-score, and other statistics and data in real time that power a multitude of ESPN products and productions.
- Verify the results of one's own work and that of others; perform with a consistently high attention to detail and urgency.
- Contribute to production, projects, and initiatives across the newsroom, and assist newsroom leaders who are directing full- and part-time staff.
- Perform leadership roles in the newsroom by directing and leading full- and part-time staff, and hold fellow employees accountable for their performance.
- Anticipate potential problems, both nightly and long-term, and offer potential solutions. Communicate quickly and decisively with colleagues on these issues.
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of Stats & Information's role in powering ESPN digital products and TV productions, and regularly propose new or more efficient ways statistics can be utilized in ESPN storytelling and products.
- Take a proactive role in working with colleagues in developing or refining production processes.
- Be an active participant in team and department meetings.
- Seek and respond to feedback around personal performance.
- Stay informed of current department policies and procedures.
- 1+ years' working in sports, statistics, or related field, preferably in media. Broad knowledge of sports statistics, current events, and scorekeeping rules for the sports covered by Stats & Analysis.
- Demonstrated proficiency in producing and/or using data to power content executions, analyze trends, or gain insights.
- Proven ability to achieve a high degree of accuracy in time-sensitive or pressurized situations.
- Proven ability to communicate assertively and effectively - verbally and in writing - to supervisors and peers about issues and opportunities, often through the din of a busy workplace.
- Full availability for this position, which will include nights (almost exclusively), weekends, and holidays.
- 1+ years' working in a sports data and information-focused role in media, team sports (pro/college), or other sports industry field.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Excel as a data management tool.
- Experience working with data feeds, data warehouses, and custom software tools.
- Knowledge of uses and trends in sports analytics, including the use and application of player tracking data.
- Experience collaborating with multiple departments.
- Broad knowledge of how sports data is used in media and for research purposes.
- Broad knowledge of ESPN products, productions, and related businesses.
- Experience leading or coaching a team.
- Ability to speak and write Spanish
- Experience using social media in a business or news environment
- High School diploma or equivalent
- College degree or equivalent
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That's because we're always finding new ways to interact with fans - however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we're doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN Productions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Octo Consulting Group