Executive Director of Aquatics
Posted on Nov 19, 2018 by YMCA
The YMCA of Austin is looking for an Exectuive Director of Aquatics.
Austin Metropolitan YMCA
The YMCA of Austin is a 501(c)(3) non-profit serving over 60,000 members and 30,000 program participants every year. The Y is dedicated to building programs for youth development, for healthy living, and for social responsibility that promote strong families, youth leadership, and community development.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. It's who we are, who we aspire to be and how we show up every day. We are cause-driven. We don't just show up, we show up with purpose. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger, beginning with you.
Join us and help transform lives.
Under the direction of the Chief Operations Officer, the Association Executive Director of Aquatics will drive statewide initiatives and advocacy, build strategic partnerships and collaborations and act as a representative on national and statewide task force groups on drowning prevention (safety around water) and other aquatics initiatives. The Association Executive Director of Aquatics will also guide quality aquatics programming across the Association and elevate the Y's offerings through a variety of exceptional programs and services.
This position is directly responsible for the planning, implementation, management, and oversight of all aquatics programming, organizational partnerships, public relations, and outreach activities on behalf of the YMCA of Austin aquatics department.
- Bachelor's Degree in Management, Business Administration, Non-Profit Management, Recreation Management, Human Services or related field, preferred.
- Minimum of ten years of successful operational experience in a variety of YMCA's, non-profit or similar operational settings.
- Ability to cultivate trust and demonstrate high levels of influence. Demonstrates the ability to navigate complex political and social circles with ease. Is recognized by others as a strong leader and expert in the field.
- Experience in managing strategic partnerships.
- Experience in high-level advocacy and deep knowledge of legislative processes.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community; track record of building authentic, constructive relationships with others.
- Strong analytical and critical-thinking skills with the ability to identify and leverage relevant data to use in planning and decision-making.
- Knowledge and experience in all aspects of operations, including staff supervision and development, successful membership practices, quality program development and implementation, volunteerism, facility and property management, and sound financial practices.
The YMCA of Austin provides a progressive work environment with great benefits and a competitive salary: 10% employer-funded, fully vested retirement plan after two years of service: 403(b) savings plan; excellent health benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance; complimentary YMCA family membership with program discounts; generous paid time off package with a minimum of 30 days; and the ability to work with innovative, talented, and diverse individuals driven to strengthen communities and transform lives.
SALARY RANGE: $65K - $80K
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, bend, talk, and occasionally lift and/or move items including equipment, furniture and/or children. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
The position will be responsible for: leadership and advocacy for aquatics initiatives; innovative aquatics programming: aquatic safety; policy compliance; staff development, and overall program quality and growth for all 8 branches of the YMCA of Austin.
- Build public policy partnerships that support children, families, and communities to advance the Y's strategic vision and growth initiatives on drowning prevention and other aquatics initiatives.
- Respond to legislative priorities and educate local, state, and national policymakers through outreach efforts.
- Represent the Y as a subject matter expert in aquatics initiatives at local, state and national levels.
- Collaborate with nonprofit, education, public, and private sectors to keep them informed on long-term strategies of the YMCA and seek out partnerships and philanthropic opportunities in support of aquatics initiatives.
- Build strategic alliances and coalitions with key constituency groups (local, state, national, political) whose work and missions are aligned with the Y's drowning prevention and other aquatics initiatives.
- Develop, coordinate, and implement Association-wide philanthropic special events generating advocacy, awareness, and fundraising to support drowning prevention and other aquatics initiatives.
Program Management & Leadership
- Develop, implement, direct, and supervise program initiatives to meet YMCA objectives. Establish new program activities and expand programs within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans. Identify strategic collaborative partnerships that congruently align with the YMCA's strategic priorities.
- Develop systems/measurements that gauge program impact, satisfaction, quality trends, financial stability, and growth potential and make necessary recommendations to the COO.
- Ensure high-quality programs through innovative program development, evaluations, and ongoing training of staff.
- Create an atmosphere that encourages maximum staff growth, inspires individual contributions, and emphasizes teamwork. Coach, lead and develop aquatic staff across the Association to inspire engagement and commitment to the Y cause.
- Create processes and procedures to ensure strong risk management practices are in place.
Cause-Driven Leadership® Competencies
- Mission Advancement: Incorporates the Y's mission and values into the organization's vision and strategies. Ensures community engagement; promotes the global nature of the Y. Leads a culture of volunteerism, ensuring engagement, inclusion, and ownership. Leads a culture of philanthropy.
- Collaboration: Advocates for and institutionalizes inclusion and diversity throughout the organization. Initiates the development of relationships with influential leaders to impact and strengthen the community. Is recognized as an inspirational community leader who navigates complex political and social circles with ease. Communicates to engage and inspire people within and outside the YMCA. Ensures that a talent management system is in place and executed effectively.
- Operational Effectiveness : Possesses penetrating insight and strong strategic and critical thinking skills. Invests resources in well-designed innovation initiatives. Creates a structure to deliver organization-wide results to achieve objectives. Develops and implements stewardship strategies. Determines benchmarks and ensures appropriate leadership to meet objectives.
- Personal Growth : Creates a learning organization. Effectively drives change by leveraging resources and creating alignment to expand organizational opportunities. Shares authority and demonstrates courage and humility. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
$65,000.00 - $80,000.00
How to Apply
Opens a new window