Posted on Nov 13, 2018 by Nike
Innovation is oxygen for Nike, Inc., and the company depends on its talented, global workforce to breathe originality and curiosity into everything they do. The Nike Advanced Innovation team strives for lighter, faster, bigger, smarter, smaller, more efficient, more sustainable and more personal. They imagine, research, analyze and invent the next industry-changing technology to advance athletic performance. In roles that span research, design, materials and manufacturing, the Advanced Innovation team looks to the future and focuses on making the seemingly impossible, possible.
As Footwear Pattern Engineer, you'll collaborate with the footwear innovation and product creation team to explore, conceptualize, research, and ultimately engineer technically advanced prototypes as well as customized promotional products.
- Work with multi-disciplinary teams including product creation and manufacturing.
- Engineer prototypes of advanced product concepts that will elevate performance or visual cues through the use of new technologies or construction process, demonstrate methods and feasible solutions for new concepts.
- Translate advanced design inspirations into a 3D product, through collaboration with core innovation teams utilizing, but not limited to 2D/3D engineering software and all resources and equipment on hand within the Concept Creation Center.
- Effectively define and communicate product details, features, construction requirements, and critical equipment and design criteria to the functions of design, development and manufacturing.
- Effectively define and communicate new techniques and processes insuring a smooth transition from innovation to commercial production.
- Anticipate development and creation issues, suggesting alternative construction methods.
- Provide feedback on, but not limited to: material choices, allowance discrepancies, file types, adhesion alternatives, etc.
- Stay current/relevant to modern methods of footwear technologies and tools and machines application.
Innovator: curious by nature, passionate about product and innovation that is new and better, demonstrate instincts about product improvements and technology applications; creative problem solver; looks to future, not past successes; sees potential in crude concepts; is inventive by nature, with engineering acumen.
Understands connectivity between business and innovation. Appreciates the interconnectedness of processes, materials, art and science with business objectives; works with athletes to solve problems and contribute to business objectives of categories; spends regular time with multiple consumer groups and understands the business landscape.
Strong team player: successful collaborator, works well with others; keeps partners up to date, and takes responsibility for forward movement of programs
Embraces ambiguity: is comfortable with failure as part of the creative innovation process.
- Bachelor's degree Design, Technology, Merchandising, Engineering, Industrial Engineering or related field.
- An additional 2 years of related work experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant pattern engineering work experience, typically in engineering, development, and/or production; experience will preferably include at least 3-5 years within the footwear industry.
- Familiar with 2D Cad tools (CRISPIN or DIMENSIONS and PROCAM Tools preferred).
- Experience with Adobe Illustrator is required.
- Basic knowledge and experience with footwear cutting, stitching and assembly operations
- Possesses a clear understanding and solid working knowledge of product construction concepts including, but not limited to: pattern engineering, costing/quality implications, model making, part drawings, 2d drafting documentation, materials, design for manufacturing, sustainability awareness.
- Full spectrum knowledge of laser technologies.
- Solid understanding of processes to interpret digital files and print onto synthetic and textile materials creating physical components used in concept creation.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to share ideas and develop effective responses or elevate specific concerns to team and/or management.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative team environment and with cross-functional departments.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully under the pressure of tight timelines and frequent changes to a heavy workload.
- Ability to work with outside vendors and machine shops to procure tooling.
- Experience in a Research and Development, manufacturing or a related environment strongly preferred