Posted on Nov 13, 2018 by Houston Business Journal
The Houston Business Journal, a thriving and growing news
organization, is looking for a full-time reporter to cover general
breaking news as well as the restaurant and retail
This isn't a job for the easily overwhelmed. You'll be tasked with
covering Houston's breaking news as it happens. Part of your job
will also entail keeping up with Houston's hot restaurant and
retail scene. You'll cover new restaurant openings, as well as any
change in strategy for restaurateurs. But most importantly, you'll
tell our readers why this all matters.
We're looking for strong traditional journalism skills - source
building, sharp interviewing techniques, strong analytical and
investigative reporting skills, clear writing, document use - along
with online and social media know-how. Whatever the platform, we
strive to produce content - original and curated - that is
accompanied by perspective and context.
• Contribute exclusive, timely and important daily news stories
to be used across platforms.
• Build source network relentlessly.
• Own the beat audience and conversation.
• Attend both Houston Business Journal and industry-related
• Facilitate/moderate at Business Journal events and must be
comfortable in taking a leading role in the community.
• Meet or exceed goals relating to audience-engagement such as page
views, unique users, repeat visits, direct traffic, social media
followings and growth, paid print circulation, email newsletter
circulation growth, event attendance, and other such
• Take on any other assignment made by manager(s).
• Ability to leverage relationships with sources.
• Strong news judgment with the ability to break news and identify
newsworthy events and sources.
• Strong writing, analytical and investigative interviewing
• Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people.
• Ability to work independently under deadline pressure and
prioritize tasks appropriately.
• Experience using social media to source and promote content a
Minimum of 2 years of journalism experience with a proven
ability in reporting and writing
Knowledge of local business community a plus.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to Beth Hunt, director of
editorial recruiting and development, American City Business
Technology Recruiting Solutions,Inc.
Squire Patton Boggs
Tarantino Properties Inc