Editor in Chief -- San Francisco Business Times
Posted on Nov 21, 2018 by San Francisco Business Times
San Francisco Business Times is looking for an Editor-in-Chief
to lead a talented newsroom in one of the country's most dynamic,
innovative and fast-paced business communities.
As the highest-ranking newsroom leader, the EIC is responsible for
driving newsroom culture, product strategy and quality journalism
across all platforms. The EIC will lead the news team to
relentlessly build an engaged audience. The EIC must be equally at
home in both print and digital, with pronounced leadership and
innovation on digital platforms.
To be successful, the EIC must have well-honed hard news instincts,
a burning curiosity about business and people, a deft editing hand,
and be equal parts leader, entrepreneur and marketer. Your passion
for great journalism, deep source building and original breaking
news, and your ability to guide and mentor your news team to
perform to your high standards, will lead you to join the ranks of
the best newsroom leaders in our company.
It is important that our EIC connects to the community, knows the
top and emerging business sectors and companies, and actively
builds a network of sources and contacts among business
influencers. By being out in the community and actively meeting
with sources, you will have your hand on the issues, the pulse, the
rise and fall of business sectors, the most active companies and
the people who lead them. And you will set the standard for how you
want your newsroom to operate.
• Define a clear and compelling vision for the look, feel and
voice of our news products, including a thriving digital news
operation, a compelling weekly print edition, daily emails, tablet
and mobile products, impactful special content packages, and in
many cases the events that link to them.
• Guide, develop and mentor reporting staff, and communicate your
expectations and feedback regularly and with clarity.
• Ensure that strong, engaging visual elements including photo,
video and graphic, are well incorporated into storytelling
• Own the growth of digital and print audiences.
• Understand the metrics, and how to interpret them.
• Meet or exceed goals relating to audience growth and
• Lead staff adaptation to new platforms, skill sets, story forms,
and ways of doing things.
• Innovate, bring ideas and an entrepreneurial mindset
• Work with other department heads to create new products and other
• In collaboration with the publisher, identify and address new
business, event and audience opportunities to extend the
• Embrace community and business outreach as an ambassador of the
• Speak to business groups and other relevant audiences on behalf
of the Business Times.
• In collaboration with the publisher, develop, assemble and
moderate high-level panel discussions on topics of interest to the
Business Times audience.
• Inspiring, motivating, and a good communicator able to foster
a strong newsroom mission and culture.
• Passionate about covering local business news.
• Innovative, collaborative, seriously curious.
• Knowledgeable about business topics and growth sectors.
• You love local business news and you're curious (there's that
word again) about the people behind the business.
• Able to lead and drive growth in a newsroom with varying levels
• Must be able to thrive in a rapidly changing and uncharted media
• Innovator who brings new ideas to help grow the San Francisco
Must have proven success in newsroom management and team
leadership; digital news management; line editing; running a
multiplatform news operation; and beat reporting.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to Beth Hunt, director of
editorial recruiting and development for American City Business
The San Francisco Business Times and its 40+ sister publications
are part of American City Business Journals, the No. 1 source for
local business news in the nation. We publish daily online, weekly
in print and deliver multiple daily email products, as well as host
monthly events attended by hundreds of business executives. The San
Francisco Business Times is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The
Company considers applicants for all positions without regard to
race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital
status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic
information or any other characteristic protected by applicable
city, state or federal law.
diPietro Todd Salons + Academy