Software Applications Engineer
Posted on Nov 19, 2018 by Columbia Sportswear
We are seeking a talented and experienced applications engineer with creative problem-solving capabilities to join our team. You will collaborate with our engineering department to develop new applications and improve upon existing ones that will serve our clients and business well. Must be able to objectively analyze application performance and effectively implement necessary changes.
Position is one of several based in the Information technology department. Incumbent is responsible for operational execution and will participate in design, vendor evaluation, implementation, and management of multiple projects. This position will span many roles including Systems Integration, Database Administration and Database Development and Operational Support. This position requires excellent technical and communication skills.
This position has three focus areas:
- System Integrations
- SQL Server Administration and Development
- Operational Support
- Integrate data feeds and interfaces for new systems
- Maintain and monitor Microsoft SQL Server jobs
- Troubleshoot and resolve ETL operations and interfaces
- Monitor and improve performance of Microsoft SQL Server components
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Develop integration strategies for new systems.
- Integrate large and small-scale systems with existing systems. Examples would include product and digital management platforms, email service providers, and various ecommerce SaaS vendor platforms.
- Documentation of complex concepts such as security models and technical decisions.
- Ensure compliance with and oversee development and execution of testing strategies, test plans, and test procedures to validate that the system correctly implements the specifications.
- Coordinate the transition between specification and implementation.
- Impact analysis for organization change management support.
SQL Server Administration and Development
- Maintain integrity, security and availability of multiple databases.
- Experience in ETL using SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), report generation using SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), and data mining for Business Intelligence using SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS).
- Experience in performance tuning especially tuning complex queries, stored procedures, functions, and indexing strategies.
- Perform database and software life-cycle activities to ensure the highest level of system performance and availability and compliance with business requirements.
- Design and develop enterprise and departmental business intelligence, data warehousing and reporting solutions.
- Work with business users to establish reporting and analytic requirements.
- Develop and implement ETL processes, reports and queries in support of business analytics.
- Develop and implement interactive analytical reports and dashboards.
- Monitor, troubleshoot and resolve scheduled jobs.
- Accountable resource in providing analytical data expertise based on application and process knowledge to recommend solutions that meet the business need.
- Defines and assists development with designing technology based solutions to meet business requests within established technology frameworks.
- Provides estimates based on work effort and application knowledge.
- Document and analyze workflows and use cases, business rules, prototyping, data mapping, and data modeling.
- Develop test strategies and test plans based on functional specifications, use cases, and business requirements.
- Estimate work based on effort and complexity.
- Architect, design, code, test, debug and document .NET based programs, applications using ASP .net and C#.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's in computer engineering, computer science, or related field
- 5+ years of enterprise applications system administration/development experience
- 5+ years of experience with SQL Server databases
- 5+ years of strong experience in developing enterprise logical and physical data models
- Experience with writing and tuning complex SQL queries, views, indexes, stored procedures and functions
- Experience in researching and resolving data process issues
- Experience with developing ETL processes
- Experience working with geographically diverse team and coordinating with developers at diverse locations
- Experience with Agile SDLC methodology
- 24x7 support experience
- SQL Server, advanced stored procedures and SSIS package development
- Expert in developing database stored procedures, functions, and optimized queries for database operations.
- Must possess expert performance tuning skills and dynamic SQL skills
- Must possess expert troubleshooting skills
- Demonstrated knowledge in XML and web services
- Git versioning tools preferred
- JIRA and Confluence preferred
- Proficiency in Visio, MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint is required
- Unix Shell Scripting a plus
- Strong written, verbal, and graphical communications skills with the ability to express complex technical concepts effectively
- Ability to work well with people from different disciplines with varying degrees of technical experience
- Ability to work both independently and with minimal guidance, as well as with a team
- Occasional domestic travel to CSC when necessary
Employee must be able to perform essential functions of position with or without reasonable accommodations.
**Please note: All candidates will be subject to a post-offer background check which may include, depending on position requirements, criminal history, credit history, driving record, employment verification, education and reference check.
EEO/AA Employer/Vets/Disabled/Race/Ethnicity/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Age