Posted on Nov 14, 2018 by Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
First area of consideration will be given to NFFE permanent employees at Leavenworth VAMC. Second AOC will be given to EKHCS permanent employees. Third AOC will be all other US Citizens.
Learn more about this agency
The ED Nurse provides direct and indirect nursing care to ill and/or injured patients by assessing patient status, determining priorities, identifying nursing needs and therapeutic objectives, and evaluating outcomes. The position requires independent judgment and nursing actions, flexibility, organizational skills, and the ability to utilize an interdisciplinary approach in the provision of professional nursing care. The ED Nurse must be motivated and self-directed in learning. The ED nurse should be able to triage patients using the Emergency Severity Index. The ED Staff Nurse is responsible both clinically and administratively to the Nurse Manager of the Unit. Duties include, but are not limited to:
Documenting observations, assessments, and changes in patient's condition;
Collaborating with health team members to facilitate positive patient care outcomes;
Providing a full range of nursing care to patients with a variety of physical and/or behavior problems;
Accountable for meeting and maintaining the qualification standards and functional statements of assigned grade. Our facility is seeking individuals who possess good organizational skills which enable completion of work, a demonstrated ability to assume leadership in a patient centered program, and the ability to establish effective communication with patients, families, visitors and members of the interdisciplinary team. Excellent customer service and communication skills are required.
Preferred Education/Experience: BSN with Emergency nursing or critical care experience. ACLS and BLS certification.
Work Schedule: Full Time, Days w/rotation
### Travel Required
##### Supervisory status
##### Promotion Potential
* #### Job family (Series)
### Conditions of Employment
* You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
* Designated and/or random drug testing required
* Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
* You may be required to serve a probationary period
* Subject to a background/security investigation
* Must be proficient in written and spoken English
* Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
* Must pass pre-employment physical examination
* Full, active and unrestricted licensure as a professional nurse is required
* United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
* Must be proficient in written and spoken English
* Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. **OR** The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) **OR** In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
* Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
**Grade Determinations**: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
* Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
* Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
* Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
* Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
* Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
**Reference:** VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
**Physical Requirements:** The physical requirements for this position in accordance with HRML No. 05-12-02 , Employment of People with Disabilities, Including Under Schedule A, 5 CFR 213.3102(u). Heavy Lifting (45 pounds and over); Heavy Carrying (45 pounds and over); Straight pulling and/or Pushing (up to 6-8 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both Hands required; Walking (up to 6-8 hours); Standing (up to 4 hours); Sitting (up to 1 hour); Kneeling; Repeated bending (up to 1 hour); Both legs required. Near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20; Hearing (aid permitted); Ability to hear whispered voice. Emotional stability. Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously.
**IMPORTANT:**A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
**Note:**Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:
### Additional information
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time Nurses, and Nurse Anesthetists at the rate of 8 hours for each full biweekly pay period.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
United States Citizenship Required; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
### How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
**IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.**Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
..... click apply for full job details