Senior Sanitary Sewer Engineer
Posted on Nov 15, 2018 by City Of Alexandria Virginia
Senior Sanitary Sewer Engineer (Civil Engineer IV)
If you are interested in utilizing your engineering and project management skills to provide impactful and meaningful infrastructure solutions for the City of Alexandria, this is the position for you. The Department of Project Implementation is looking for a senior-level Engineer with experience in managing the design and construction of sanitary sewer conveyance related projects. The candidate may also be called upon to manage the design and construction of other types of capital projects such as roadway, storm sewer, storm water management, park improvements and transit. This position reports to the Division Chief of Construction.
- Management of medium to large sanitary sewer conveyance projects from design through construction, including conventional construction methods and in situ facility rehabilitation;
- Manage the procurement and performance of professional consultant services and construction services
- Insure compliance with federal and state grants;
- With consultants or in-house staff prepare project plans, specifications and other required documentation;
- Prepare project cost estimates and manage project budgets for design, construction and other expenses;
- Prepare and insure adherence to project schedules;
- Meet with citizens, contractors and other City departments to resolve project issues;
- Present information regarding proposed and active projects to:community groups, outside agencies, senior staff and City officials;
- Perform related work as required.
About the Department
The Department of Project Implementation is responsible for a variety of project types; including intersection improvements (transitway, bicycle/pedestrian improvements) storm water and water quality improvements, sanitary sewer improvements, flood mitigation and park improvements. DPI is focused on the City's portfolio of capital infrastructure projects utilizing best practice project management methods, DPI strives to deliver construction project consistently and efficiently. DPI is dedicated to professional development opportunities. Employees are encouraged to seek out training opportunities and certifications (like PMP and CCM) to help the department achieve success.
To qualify for this position, all candidates should possess at least a 4-year degree in Civil Engineering; at least five (5) years of related experience in a position as a professional engineer; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Must be licensed to practice as a Professional Engineer in the Commonwealth of Virginia or eligible to obtain Virginia registration by reciprocity.
To be considered as an ideal candidate, one must possess at least fifteen (15+) years of experience as a Civil Engineer of which at least five (5) years should be in a position as a professional engineer managing the design and construction of capital projects. Demonstrate the ability to review and analyze plans and specifications for construction and be able to prepare clear and comprehensive technical reports. Experience in the coordination of multi-discipline teams including the management of project staff, and design consultants and contractors.