Digital Asset Services Librarian
Posted on Nov 15, 2018 by University of Maryland University College
Digital Asset Services Librarian
University of Maryland University College
Location: Largo, MD
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks a Digital Asset Services Librarian. UMUC is one of 12 degree-granting institutions in the University System of Maryland (USM). UMUC is a mission-driven institution with seven core values that guide us in all we do. At the top of the list is "Students First," and we strive to do just that for our 90,000 students at home and abroad. From its start in 1947, UMUC has demonstrated its commitment to adult learners. We recognize that adult students need flexibility and options. UMUC is proud to be a global, 24-hour, institution of higher learning.
The Digital Asset Services Librarian serves and an expert resource and performs metadata creation, enrichment, and maintenance for learning resources and digital asset management projects, ensuring accuracy and quality, participates as part of team on planning workflows and processes, and other related work as assigned. The Digital Asset Services Librarian conducts cataloging and metadata creation for digital and physical library resources, applying national cataloging and metadata standards; develops and maintains cataloging and metadata workflows and procedures. In addition, the Digital Asset Services Librarian provides technical assistance to Library users via online email and phone, with periodic night and weekend check-ins required on rotating schedule, and fulfills the ongoing performance, service, and scholarly accomplishments of Librarian faculty ranking.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Performs metadata creation, enrichment, and maintenance for learning resources and digital asset management projects, ensures data quality and accuracy, and monitors workflow in a multi-user digital asset management system.
- Participates as part of team on planning workflows and processes, and other related work as assigned.
- Conducts cataloging and metadata creation for digital and physical library resources, applying national cataloging and metadata standards; develops and maintains cataloging and metadata workflows, procedures, and documentation.
- Supports Library systems maintenance and web resources as needed, serves as part of team coordinating, managing, and updating the Library's web-based resources.
- Provides technical assistance to Library users via email and phone; periodic night and weekend check-ins required on rotating schedule.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
Required Education and Experience
- Masters of Library Science or equivalent from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- Knowledge of current best practices, principles, and methods of metadata and content standards related to the description and administration of digital asset management, digital publishing and curation, and library catalog/discovery systems.
- Experience with metadata creation and maintenance for libraries and digital content repositories, basic library cataloging and copy cataloging, familiarity with taxonomies and taxonomy management.
- Working knowledge of Dublin Core, MARC, XML, OpenURL, OCLC systems, and HTML and web content management systems, familiarity with ADA and Section 508 compliance.
- Demonstrated problem solving, organizational, verbal and written communication, and analytical skills, and experience with providing customer and library user service.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively while dealing with change, ambiguity, and complexity in an academic setting.
- Familiar with professional standards, best practices, and emerging technologies and trends in library and educational online environments.
- Ability to fulfill the ongoing performance, service, and scholarly accomplishments of Librarian faculty at a Librarian I ranking.
- Knowledge/experience with digital rights principles, especially Creative Commons
- Knowledge/experience with creation and use of open educational resources
- Experience providing end-user technical support in a library environment
- Experience with EZproxy, EBSCO Discovery Service, SFX or related technologies
- Experience with web content or document management systems, preferably Adobe Experience Manager (AEM)
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: .The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.