SR MGR, PROJECT CONTROL (BUS ENGINEERING AND ACQUISITION)
Posted on Nov 13, 2018 by Public Transportation Services Corporation (PTSC)
Manages projects to design, deploy and support transit buses and equipment.
Example Of Duties
- Participates in the Large Scale Deployment of Zero Emission Buses (ZEB) and associated Infrastructure to meet 2030 Goal.
- Develops ZEB and infrastructure specifications.
- Manages key aspects contributing to the successful deployment of ZEBs such as acquisition of vehicles, development of infrastructure, and optimization of operations.
- Manages implementation of innovative pilot projects such as Metros current Collision Avoidance Technology Project and Metros previous Composite Bus Program.
- Develops strategies for large scale deployment after completion of the pilot program.
- Provides technical and project management support to bus fleet operations.
- Collaborates with internal staff, consultants, and contractors to ensure schedule adherence and program execution through contract close-out
- Plans, executes, and finalizes projects in accordance with commercial and technical specifications
- Oversees cost estimating, budgeting, cost management and control, scheduling, configuration management, and management information system and reporting activities of assigned projects.
- Establishes, maintains, implements, and audits cost and schedule management activities for projects to ensure compliance with policies, procedures, and plans
- Reviews, analyzes, and interprets project design and budgets, schedules, and costs to ensure conformance with authorized scope, time, and dollar requirements including Life of Project reporting
- Reviews, analyzes, and monitors actual project performance related to cost and schedule management activities
- Identifies problems and recommends resolutions to cost and schedule-related activities
- Prepares and presents reports to management and the Board of Directors
- Oversees performance and evaluates work of consultants/contractors to ensure compliance and consistency with agency, department, and project objectives
- Manages capital and operating budget; conducts effective performance analyses and supports executive management in the development and implementation of strategic objectives
- Provides financial plans, projections, and forecasts for programs and projects, and analyzes financial impacts
- Tracks and analyzes actual expenditures versus budget performance to determine and resolve variances
- Responds to inquiries by Board of Directors, outside agencies, and executive officers, and prepares analytical reports
- Supervises subordinate staff
- Communicates and implements safety rules, policies, and procedures in support of the agency's safety vision and goals; and maintains accountability for the safety performance of all subordinate employees
- Contributes to ensuring that the EEO policies and programs of Metro are carried out
Requirements For Employment
- Bachelor's degree Computer Science or Engineering (Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering preferred)
- 5 years' lead or senior-level technical project management in electrical infrastructure or product engineering
Due to the competitiveness of the recruitment, consideration may be given to those candidates who demonstrate the following additional qualifications:
- Masters Degree in a related field
- Experience in one of more of the following Technical areas: High and Low Voltage Power Distribution, Energy Storage Systems, Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure, Power Electronics, Networks (e.g. CAN, Telematics), Vehicle Engineering (Electric Vehicles Preferred)
- Experience in one or more of the following Project Management Areas: Product Design and Validation, Manufacturing and Supply Chain, Quality Assurance and Warranty, Field Service
- Professional certificates/licenses: 6 Sigma, Professional Engineering, or Professional Project Management Certification is desirable
- Exposure to physical hazards during site visits
- Theories, principles, and practices of project management, including cost management, scheduling, and configuration management
- Applicable local, state, and federal laws, rules, and regulations
- Engineering and construction concepts
- Contract administration
- Personal computer business software applications
- Computer Aided Graphics (CAD) and/or Numerical Analysis Software
- Manufacturing, quality and design improvement methods (six sigma, 8D, FMEA, etc)
- Oversee the operations of multiple project control work units
- Understand, interpret, and apply laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, contracts, budgets, and labor/management agreements
- Analyze situations, identify problems, and recommend solutions
- Exercise judgment and creativity in making decisions
- Plan financial and staffing needs
- Compile, analyze, and interpret complex data
- Determine strategies to achieve goals
- Perform complex financial analyses and prepare comprehensive reports and correspondence
- Interact professionally with various levels of Metro employees and outside representatives
- Manage cross-functionally, cross-business, etc.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Supervise subordinate staff
Applicants who best meet job-related qualifications will be invited to participate in the examination process that may consist of any combination of written, performance, or oral appraisal to further evaluate job-related experience, knowledge, skills and abilities.
To apply, visit Metro's website at and complete an online Employment Application.
Computers are available to complete online Employment Applications at the following Metro location:
METRO Headquarters, Employment Office
One Gateway Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Telephone: or persons with hearing or speech impairments can use California Relay Service 711 to contact Metro.
All completed online Employment Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date. (DD)
*Open to the public and all Metro employees
This job bulletin is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Employees may be required to perform other related job duties.