Posted on Nov 17, 2018 by Affinity Executive Search
LOOKING FOR a degreed engineer with some varied experience that can bring new ideas to the table, no more than 10 or 15 years of experience because if they have more experience than that and will go for this money they are not the right person!
The Principal Engineer will provide project management throughout the entire project life cycle, from concept through implementation and close-out. They are responsible for project metrics such as project deliverables, management of scope including changes required, budget management and timeline adherence.
During the project lifecycle, the Principal Engineer will employ appropriate project management techniques and work collaboratively with all Departments (Operations, Maintenance, Quality, Environmental Health &Safety, Continuous Improvement, R&D, Engineering, Warehouse, Supply Chain) to enhance one or more of the following categories, food safety, personnel safety, quality, manufacturing capability, cost, schedule, productivity, reliability and environmental compliance.
The Principal Engineer will also provide leadership, guidance, mentoring, or coaching as needed to enable cross-functional project managers to develop & execute projects when needed.
The Principal Engineer will manage contractors and OEMS as appropriate to support project execution within scope, budget and timeline. The Principal Engineer will ensure the projects are well defined and agreed to by the stakeholders in writing prior to project approval and execution.
This position typically works Monday through Friday, however the position may require working different hours including weekends and most holidays as needed to meet business, customer, schedule or personnel or product requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Train outside contractors in current good manufacturing practice (cGMPs), SOPs, safety, equipment, utilities, building, and maintenance procedures and tasks as required to
* Ensure a safe, clean and environmentally compliant work environment and promote a culture that embodies our safety principles.
* Ensure self accomplishes all safety engagement activities each month.
* Establishes and Maintains Rigor around Project Management Program(s) and Project Work Processes
* Supports development of project management programs to meet the needs of the organization
* Provide weekly reporting of all projects in the agreed upon format
* Maintain an appropriate project closure rate as set and reviewed at least quarterly with Controller and immediate supervisor.
* Track and communicate capital project progress with all relevant support team members.
* Ensures they are trained, maintains current on any required certifications and that all stakeholders understand and are capable of performing the full scope of their expectations for the duration of the project.Elevates concerns to management.
* Balance Office and Site/Floor Presence to Accomplish Varied Tasks
* Travel to project locations on a daily basis to ensure adherence to budget, schedule and deliverables.
* Evaluates vendor and equipment capabilities during FAT testing and SAT testing and vendor trade shows as appropriate.
* Conducts design reviews with all stakeholders throughout the project.
* Provides cost estimates as requested to support the needs of the business
* Understands day-to-day production challenges, repeating/nagging issues ensuring proper prioritization of work and partners collaboratively with Operations & Maintenance Management.
* Technical & Leadership Competence
* Demonstrates an understanding of manufacturing processes, equipment, facility and utilities by using a structured, critical, analytical engineering approach to solve chronic, complex process and product problems.
* Work with outside Engineering firms and vendors to identify, evaluate, and incorporate new processes/technology into new and existing designs.
* Address and resolve issues arising from risks analysis, safety & environmental conditions, and ergonomic evaluations.
* Conducts risk analyses as needed.
* Provides technical support to all departments as needed.
* Develop drawings, scopes of work, budgets and timelines as needed to prepare a project for submittal.
* Assist in the development of the annual capital budget for the business.
* Provides evidenced mentoring to staff personnel and demonstrates work behaviors consistent with expectations.
* Ensures performance management and timekeeping processes are managed appropriately, when applicable.
* Knowing our Customers
* Understands and communicates customer expectations throughout the Department where appropriate.
* Ensuring the reliability of plant machinery and equipment in order to meet production schedules and customer orders.
* Executing Strategy & Directing Operations
* Supports development & executes organizational objectives and priorities in support of the Plants strategy and vision, and for developing teams to deliver results in support of these objectives and priorities.
* Making operational decisions or recommendations that could affect the financial, employee, or public relations posture of the organization.
* Improves plant efficiency through strategic purchase or retirement of assets.
* Lives the values and vision of the Company; establish an engaged workforce characterized by mutual trust, open communications, teamwork, and recognition.
* Articulates work requirements and coordinates theproject work in the Engineering department and with other stakeholder departments as needed include supervising outside contractors.
* Preparing and submits budgets to the Vice President relative to capital expenditures, staffing, etc.
* Facilitating process improvements through people deployment, productivity enhancements, appropriate work teams and being a model for change.
* Driving alignment between plant departments as needed
* Leading & Developing Talent
* Openly shares information within team and with stakeholders
* Develops clear and measurable expectations of self-performance and reviews commitments regularly to ensure goals are achieved.
* Monitoring and enforcing plant policies in a consistent manner to ensure a positive labor environment.
* Actively leading and building effective work teams and committees to increase plant performance and drive continuous improvement initiatives.