Head of DevOps
Posted on Jun 9, 2022 by Allen Lane Ltd.
Are you a committed and pragmatic DevOps leader, seeking a collaborative environment where you can build a team that delivers development, innovation and operational excellence?
We are delighted to be partnering with Waltham Forest, who are ambitious for their people, their communities and their services, on the recruitment of a Head of DevOps.
About Waltham Forest
Driven by their sense of Waltham Forest, the place and its people, they constantly develop and evolve. Waltham Forest is London's first Borough of Culture and 2019 MJ Council of the Year. Their opportunities are real: a new university campus, £300million new shopping centre, 10,000 new homes over the next ten years, re-invigorating a much-loved 950-seat theatre back and a new hospital at Whipps Cross.
However, they face challenges: 45 per cent of children live in poverty, tackling the housing crisis and the ethnicity and gender pay gaps, creating an authority as diverse as the people they serve.
They are looking for someone that thrives in creating solutions and unlocking potential in all areas. The Technology Team has transformed the IT experience of customers and staff. They have migrated to cloud services and infrastructure, redefined public web and transactional services, retained control over the core technology and network, and enabled new ways of working for their staff.
About the role
As the Head of DevOps your teams deliver the business applications used by the Council to manage services, transactional processes and CRM used by the public, and the Council's websites. You will see increasing value from developing and operating sustainable functional processes, integrations and automations. Reporting to the CIO you work with Enterprise Architecture, ICT Operations and stakeholders across the business.
The scope of the role includes:
- Develop and operate CRM and transactional processes
- Develop and operate public web sites
- Implement and support business applications - Azure, on-prem, hosted and SaaS
- Delivery of SQL and data PaaS platforms; support ETL activities
- Develop and operate workflows and automations using commercial platforms and tools
- Develop, facilitate and manage integrations between systems
- Operational security, resilience and performance
- Operational budget £1.5m
- Track record of delivery of change, systems and processes
- Track record of managing sustainable successful operational processes
- Experience of digital landscape: CRM, public facing processes and websites
- Experience of applications used by Councils for managing services
- Strong stakeholder management skills and ability to translate requirements into a service that delivers outcomes
- Basic understanding of MS SQL data tools and integrations
- Able to manage technical teams applying a devops ethos
- Understanding opportunities and potential application of commercial workflow and automation software as well as power apps and logic apps
- Strategic thinker who can design and build appropriate service capability and operating model based on pragmatic mix of in-house platforms and external providers
- Demonstrable experience of managing budgets and suppliers
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a successful team, make a real impact, and deliver technology and services that enable this ambitious Council to continue to serve the community.
The closing date for applications is 19th June. A full application will require a CV and supporting statement of up to 1250 words. To discuss the role in more detail before writing the supporting statement, please apply initially with your CV ahead of the closing date.