Head of Application Dev - Enterprise Svcs
Posted on Nov 19, 2018 by National Football League
This position will be a leader within the NFL responsible for directing all phases of software development, application support and application maintenance for the Enterprise Solutions area. Leading the IT Applications team which is comprised of software architects as well as software engineers and collaborating with IT staff to design and implement business solutions and ensuring that specifications are met. They will be responsible for the management of multiple medium to large sized software development efforts and will work closely with and report progress to the Business Relationship Director responsible for business units. The position will also play a key role in working with peers in other IT areas like Product Management, IT Infrastructure, IT Operations and Information Security to ensure that the software development lifecycle methodologies and principles are being shared and enforced properly at the NFL.
The role will be responsible for defining IT strategy, evaluating technologies, defining standards, designing solutions and reference architectures and documenting and managing the implementation of multi-year roadmaps that solve stated business problems. The role will be responsible for providing thought-leadership, advocacy, articulation, assurance and maintenance of the Software Development LifeCycle and Software Architecture programs. Coordinate the development of architectural frameworks and lead the population of these frameworks with coherent and consistent architectural views in conjunction with the solution architect.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Leads direct staff and project teams in the design, development, customization, configuration and implementation of applications designed to advance business initiatives.
- Responsible for the end-to-end management of multiple medium to large sized software development projects.
- Responsible for scoping, planning, executing, and monitoring the projects to keep projects on schedule, on budget, and following appropriate protocols with Technical Operations, Infrastructure, Information Security, Application Development and Service Desk teams.
- Anticipate and plan for escalating demands on existing platforms as well as emerging platforms.
- Establish, govern and manage software development life cycle (SDLC) processes and metrics that measure and improve team performance.
- Manage the QA process and ensure that it is defined, reviewed and successfully executed through all phases of the software development lifecycle.
- Resource Management and skill development of the Application Development and Architecture teams.
- Provide direction and technical expertise for the team and act as senior resource for all existing and new initiatives and complex projects, including systems, capacity planning, system deployments, and system and network installs/configurations.
- Analyze and problem-solve complex technical issues with minimal supervision, and work within a team environment while communicating well to a diverse set of colleagues.
- Lead the definition of an solution architecture and architectural vision, roadmap, assumptions and guidance. Presides as the internal "Go-To" to determine technical strategies.
- Internally "sell" the Software Development LifeCycle and architecture process, its outcome, and ongoing results through effective communication and influencing skills.
- Define the principles to guide technology decisions for the enterprise that manifest in sound and complete architecture concepts and assure consistent platform and user experience across all product deliverables.
- Provide the business with plans and alternatives to meet business objectives through first and third party software solutions -- perform buy vs. build analysis.
- Oversee technical architecture implementation and modification activities including architecture review processes and risk assessments.
- Manage and maintain vendor relationship as they are related to multiple Application Development Managed Services partners.
- Provide hands-on leadership and support to guide and maintain existing and new mission critical systems during peak seasonal business periods.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Directs and controls the activities of multiple teams or one large team of developers responsible for designing, developing, and implementing front-end functionality for the NFL's sites, products, and programs
- Oversees the design, development, and deployment of front-end development solutions that provide desired functionality for the NFL's sites, products and programs
- Ensures the League's application development needs are met, overseeing the deployment of sufficient resources to meet objectives; schedules and budgets at the highest levels of quality and service
- Establishes operational strategies and policies to ensure competitive advantage in requirements gathering, design, development, testing, implementation, and maintenance of front-end software solutions
- Leads the League-wide web development performance and service standards; adjusts web development plans to support changing business directions and needs
- Directs a team, conducts goal setting and performance appraisal processes to prioritize and align with overall company and function wide goals and objectives, coaches talent, and serves as an organizational resource
Skills and Knowledge:
- Strong knowledge of C#, Visual Basic, SQL Server, .NET, C+ with enough technical programming knowledge in order to evaluate architectural designs, underlying code for quality and programming time/cost estimates.
- Expertise in architecture frameworks is preferred
- Exceptional sense of modern web and user experience design
- Successful record as Senior Leader with experience in application and software architecture discipline in a matrixed enterprise.
- Be able to communicate technical issues in business terms so that senior leadership can evaluate options and make sound decisions.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and meet aggressive deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.