Dir Healthy Living Programs
Posted on Nov 21, 2018 by YMCA
Take the next step in your career with this rewarding opportunity to join the YMCA of South Hampton Roads!
Blocker Norfolk Family YMCA
Take the next step in your career with this rewarding opportunity to join the YMCA of South Hampton Roads, 8th largest membership YMCA association in the country, as Director of Healthy Living Programs, at the Blocker Family YMCA and the Y on Granby . You will love the South Hampton Roads area, with great schools, and convenient shopping centers. The beach resort area of Virginia Beach is only a few miles away!
WHY WORK FOR THE Y?
The Y is a dynamic and diverse human service organization committed to nurturing the potential of kids, promoting healthy living and fostering a sense of social responsibility. The Y is a team effort, right down to our members. The care and concern we show for our members is our success gauge.
In order to maintain our success, we must recruit and hire the best employees in the area. The Y commits itself to doing so by providing our employees competitive wages, benefits and opportunities for advancement through our training programs and internal promotions.
The YMCA of South Hampton Roads is recognized as a cutting edge leader in the YMCA movement. The association serves the communities of Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Franklin, Virginia Beach, the Eastern Shore of Virginia, as well as the Outer Banks, Barco and Elizabeth City in North Carolina. We are the 9th largest membership YMCA in the United States with 40,000 membership units and 110,000 members, and has a nearly 50 million dollar operating budget. Our facilities consist of 22 Family Centers, 3 satellite fitness centers, 2 regional day camps, 1 resident camp, a 18-hole golf and banquet facility, and a nine-hole golf course operating a successful First Tee program. Our association strongly supports staff development, training, and encourages membership in the nation's largest active chapter of YMCA Professionals Network (YPN
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Director of Healthy Living Programs develops, organizes and implements high quality, member-focused YMCA Health and Wellness programs for both the Blocker Norfolk Family YMCA, The Y on Granby, and Dominion Tower YMCA. Healthy Living programs include but are not limited to: Group Exercise, The Traveling Y, and Active Older Adults. Ensures a safe, fun, and enjoyable experience for members.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
The YMCA of South Hampton Roads is committed to the development of staff leadership. In addition to a robust benefit program, the YMCA of South Hampton Roads also provides training to secure a promising future for our employees and our association. Excellent benefits package includes competitive pay, generous time off, membership, health benefits and the industry leading 12% retirement plan.
CLOSING DATE OF APPLICATION AND SEND TO:
Submit online application, and upload cover letter, references, and resume in one document, by Monday, November 5th, 2018, on the YMCA of South Hampton Roads' Job Opportunities Job Board at Opens a new window
Internal Candidates: Currently active employees of the YMCA of South Hampton Roads should apply through Careers in the Dayforce Employee Account.
- Bachelor's Degree in Health & Fitness or related field is preferred
- Must have YMCA or other nationally recognized (ACE, AFAA or ACSM) fitness certification
- One or more years of supervisory experience in above mentioned programs
- Strong human relation skills to facilitate positive relationships with participants, members and staff
Requires a person of maturity and good judgment, who can operate with a minimum of guidance from the Executive Director.
- Requires ability to exercise appropriate independent judgment, to assess facts and issues, and make non-routine decisions regarding day-to-day operational problems and issues
- Requires effective team-building and team-leadership skills
- Must maintain cooperative, functional relationships with senior leadership team, peers, and subordinates
- Must maintain positive, energetic attitude toward YMCA work, goals, and values
- Must have ability to respond to emergencies and to travel as needed for operational management, including on-site presence in managing major operational problems
- Must have superior oral and written communication skills and the ability to respond to a wide variety of constituencies, including staff, volunteers, members, program participants, vendors, community leaders, etc.
- Perform the duties of direct reports as needed
Candidate must possess sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions of position and to supervise program activities.
- Will be required to walk, stand, kneel, stoop, push, and lift up to 100 pounds
- Physically able to successfully complete required certifications
- While performing duties the employee may occasionally work in the outside weather conditions, and is exposed to wet, cold and /or humid conditions
- Continuous operations requiring attention to detail and multitasking
- Will be exposed to cleaning supplies.
- Must be able to perform the duties of those they supervise
- Flexibility with work schedule is necessary; evening, weekend and holiday shifts may be required for coverage
Accountable for completion of assigned goals as measured by the number of people served, cause driven measures, service satisfaction scores, operating results, and supervisor evaluation of assigned duties.
An offer of employment is contingent upon receipt of satisfactory results to meet minimum requirements of the position. They may include criminal background and reference checks, E-Verify, drug test, driver's license record, and/or a Child Protective Services Check (CPS). Additional driver's license check, CPS, criminal background check, alcohol, and/or drug testing may be required to be processed in the future in order to meet and/or maintain the requirements of this position.
Division of Duties:
- 70% Operations
- 20 % Staff/Team Development
- 10% Philanthropy & Volunteer Development
- Acquires & maintains current certifications in MOSSA Group Exercise formats offered at Blocker & Granby YMCA locations
- Meets and/or exceeds association expectations in Family Center participation in Group Exercise classes, facility usage ratios, Traveling Y events, and Active Older Adult programming
- Maintains and/or exceeds association expectations related to the number of group exercise class offerings based on the Tier size of the Family Center
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Team Leader):
..... click apply for full job details
ODU AP Faculty
Commonwealth Senior Living
Commonwealth Senior Living
Commonwealth Senior Living