Lecturer/Physical Activity & Wellness Program
Posted on Nov 17, 2018 by Ohio University
Lecturer/ Physical Activity & Wellness Program Coordinator
Department of Recreation & Sport Pedagogy
The Patton College of Education
Ohio University is a doctoral/research intensive state university with over 23,000 students on its picturesque Athens campus and over 16,000 students on its regional campuses and in its e-learning programs. The Department of Recreation and Sport Pedagogy is one of five departments in the Patton College of Education. The Patton College has more than 80 faculty members serving over 2,100 undergraduate and 800 graduate students. Housed in newly renovated McCracken Hall, the college has a proud history spanning over 125 years. The Department of Recreation and Sport Pedagogy is comprised of three academic programs: Physical Education, Coaching Education, and Recreation Studies. The department also houses an auxiliary Physical Activity & Wellness program that serves students from across the university.
This is a non-tenure track lecturer position that reports to the Department Chairperson. The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Coordinating the department's Physical Activity & Wellness (PAW) Specific responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to (1) course scheduling, (2) training and supervision of Graduate Teaching Assistants and adjunct instructors who teach in the program, (3) updating and implementing program policies and procedures, (4) managing and maintaining program equipment and supplies, (5) working with campus partners to coordinate use of facilities for the delivery of PAW courses, (6) conducting assessment and evaluation of program effectiveness, and (7) promoting the growth and development of the program.
- Teaching face-to-face and online undergraduate courses related to physical activity and sport coaching and/or physical education, as well as teaching various sport specific courses in the PAW
- Overseeing professional internships for students majoring in Physical Activity & Sport
- Providing service to the department, university, community, and
- Earned Master's degree in coaching education, physical education/teacher education or a closely related discipline (doctorate preferred).
- Evidence of successful college/university teaching experience in both traditional and online
- Evidence of coaching experience in a variety of sports at various developmental
- Demonstrated commitment to working with students, faculty and staff from diverse
Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate evidence of any or all of the following:
- Experience overseeing a college/university sponsored physical activity and wellness
- Experience developing and overseeing professional
- Experience collaborating with coaches, community sport leaders, parents, and/or sport
- Experience using instructional technology in course
- Experience in program evaluation and/or
- Experience in curriculum
- Public school teaching experience in physical education and/or health
Starting Date: August 15, 2019
Salary and Benefits: Salary is commensurate with education and experience. The position is a nine-month non- tenure track appointment with potential for additional summer teaching, plus university benefits including tuition for self and family, a comprehensive insurance package (prescription plan, vision benefits, dental plan, life insurance), and an excellent retirement plan.
Applications and Inquiries: To apply, go to , search for posting # 28892, and complete the online application. Applications must include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and a list of at least 3 current professional references (include name, title, address, e-mail address, and phone number for each). The posting will remain open until filled. For best consideration, apply no later than November 25, 2018. Inquiries should be directed to Dr. Bruce Martin at or
Ohio University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Schumacher Clinical Partners
Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine