Assistant Men's Basketball Coach
Posted on Nov 16, 2018 by Colby College
Colby is a member of the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) and has 28 intercollegiate sports that compete at the Division III level, and four programs (men's and women's Alpine and Nordic Skiing) that complete at the Division I level. The department also hosts a variety of club and intramural sports. Over one-third of Colby's 2,000 students participate in intercollegiate sports, and in total, nearly three-quarters are involved in fitness and recreation activities in the department.
The College has broken ground on the construction of a new, state-of-the-art athletics complex, scheduled to open in the fall of 2020, which is destined to be among the best Division III facilities in the country. The 350,000 square-foot athletics center will include an indoor track and field competition center, aquatic center with Maine's first 50-meter pool, squash center, gymnasium, hockey arena, strength & fitness center, training rooms, and coaching suites. Additionally, the College recently opened a 70-acre-plus outdoor competition center that consists of three gleaming new competition and recreational fields that are also among the finest outdoor venues in Division III.
The Colby College Department of Athletics seeks an assistant men's basketball coach. This is a full-time, 9 month appointment. The assistant men's basketball coach's responsibilities include assisting the head coach in all duties involved in running a competitive Division III basketball program. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our college.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- On-site coaching in games and practices, including organization and implementation of daily practices
- Prepare film breakdown and analysis, and present analysis to team members
- Plan and prepare for games
- Contribute to strength and conditioning program including one-on-one strength and conditioning work with student athletes
- Provide support and encouragement to student athletes including academic counseling and advising
- Monitor academic progress of athletes
- Recruit and retain talented athletes successfully
- Research academic and athletic credentials
- Build relationships with prospective student athletes and their families through email, phone, and one-on-one meetings
- Organize and implement overnight visits
- Understand NESCAC and NCAA rules, compliance, and laws
- Ensure safety and well-being of student athletes
- Serve as an effective role model for college-age students
- Provide effective communication to head coach
- Collaborate effectively with other Department of Athletics' team members
- Serve as a coordinator of team travel
- Assist with day-to-day operations of the men's basketball program
- Secondary assignment to be determined
- Perform additional duties as assigned; duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Operates in gymnasium and training rooms. General open office and campus environment. Position involves sitting, movement, and occasional lifting up to 50 pounds in coaching and training situations. Frequent travel and early morning/evening/weekend work is required.
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should apply electronically by clicking the "Apply Now" button on the Colby College website. Please submit a letter of interest including salary requirements, resume, and the contact information of three professional references. Materials should be addressed to:
Assistant Men's Basketball Coach - Search Committee Office of Human Resources Colby College 5500 Mayflower Hill Waterville, ME 04
If you experience difficulty uploading your documents, you may submit any .doc or .pdf materials to . Please do not submit duplicate materials.
- Bachelor's degree or the equivalent in education and experience
- Previous experience coaching and or/competing at the collegiate level is required
- Committed to the values of a liberal arts education
- Strong attention to detail and a commitment to delivering
- Must be organized, take initiative, and utilize strong time management skills
- Proven ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Valid driver's license required and must meet the College's Fleet Safety Policy requirements
- Ability to travel for team practices, competition, and scouting in and out of state
- Strong positive communication and interpersonal skills with all levels
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to excel as a member of a diverse community