Head of IT Customer Experience
Posted on Nov 18, 2018 by National Basketball Association
As a global sports and media business, the NBA is so much more. While Basketball Operations runs the league's on-court activities, other departments manage relationships with television and digital media partners, develop marketing partnerships with some of the world's most recognizable companies, oversee the licensing of NBA merchandise, and handle a wide range of responsibilities that drive the NBA's success.
Position Summary Leading the NBA Customer Experience group, this position will champion technology and IT services across the NBA's user community. The role reports to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) and will be charged with creating a delightful employee experience with technology - with a specific focus on maximizing satisfaction, efficiency and productivity. This individual will work with users, business leaders, and other peer disciplines within the NBA's Information Technology department, both domestically and internationally, to deliver against the CTO's goal of creating customer-centric technology experiences, deploying world-class services, training staff to leverage these offerings effectively and promoting collaboration across diverse departments and global offices.
Given this mandate and to support the NBA's 2025 goals for revenue and fan growth, the Head of IT Customer Experience must create and "sell' through powers of influence and persuasion, an ambitious yet viable vision of a portfolio of outstanding services provided by NBA Information Technology. The ideal candidate will be seasoned senior IT executive with formidable expertise in information technology and a sound knowledge of best practices around business operations, support and issues. This individual will be competent and comfortable around business plans as well as technology, to be able to collaborate with other IT leaders as well as business and functional leadership. This distinct combination of technical and business proficiencies will enable the individual to understand and anticipate user needs, to be both responsive and proactive about new user-based functionality and technologies, to manage a staff of excellent service providers, to initiate and implement policies and practices that maximize IT user experiences and to provide service excellence on an optimal cost basis.
The ideal candidate will have proven leadership, technology general management experience and have previously created and run high-performing technology support teams with an exceptional record of customer training & satisfaction. This executive must possess superior and compelling communications skills - listening as well as verbal and writing abilities - along with empathy, caring and relating skills. We need someone who will be able to balance the rapid pace of technology change with an expert ability to manage client relationships and expectations. This person must be a trusted and respected evangelist for technology evolution while firmly grounded in operational management prowess with respect to budget, headcount, bandwidth, storage and c apabilities.
There should be a player-coach mind-set; an in-the-trenches style and a fearless willingness to roll up the sleeves - diving into details when necessary. Bringing contemporary ideas and technology to the company is mandatory; creating and setting industry standards, while constantly raising the bar internally is ideal. This will be a creative individual who is excited about inventing the future with us!
- Manage a team of IT professionals responsible for global IT Customer Service, Regional Office Support and Technologies, Desktop Support, Global Service Desk Operations, IT Asset Management, Telecom Expense Management, and Mobile Device Management.
- Collaboratively and consultatively assess business needs and ensure technology is keeping up with demand; proactively identify and address customer technology needs through strategic assessments and ongoing communications with stakeholders.
- Oversee implementation, communication and adoption of cutting-edge technology, including best practices, across the workplace.
- Develop and implement best practices for program management and end-user service delivery; focus on improving the use of the hardware, software and other technologies that the NBA makes available to its users.
- Define policies, procedures and best practices for the use of NBA systems; support the implementation and maintenance of these policies; perform regular audits to ensure IT policies and procedures are maintained and meet their intended goals.
- Develop metrics-oriented dashboards to assess and report on IT performance and service delivery on both a periodic and ad-hoc bases.
- Provide direction and guidance for the internal/external operation of the Customer Service Helpdesk, Desktop support and other IT services.
- Focus on and evaluate regional office and international users' experience - use the feedback to define new opportunities and evolve training initiatives
- Defines SLA's and programs for continuous feedback and improvement
- Manage capital and expense budgets.
- Skilled in business, technical management, user training and people leadership.
- Proven experience in cloud technologies and application architectures.
- Understanding of industry trends and emerging systems development technologies.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) with the proven ability to create business cases/ ROI statements that will gain support from business partners.
- Considerable experience in a service-driven organization; knowledge of best practices in IT customer service and end user support, service level agreements (SLAs), and relationship management.
- Practical experience leading teams responsible for IT customer experience, training and service delivery; a customer-focused mindset with a passion for providing superior service.
- Ability to foster lofty standards and to coach, inspire and lead team members.
- Proven track record of success in influencing executive agendas and enacting change.
- The ability to operate at a strategic level, and command strategic influence across cross-functional teams and client partner groups throughout the organization to align on the customer strategy.
- A solution-driven work ethic coupled with exceptional project management skills and a demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- A leader who drives continuous learning and improvement driven by feedback and data.
- Experience building, maintaining and leading operational teams responsible for trouble management, escalation and resolution practices.
- Excellent research, analytical, financial and creative problem-solving skills.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
Educational Background Required
- 15+ years of experience in the field or a related area.
- A bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Business or related field is required and a master's degree, ideally an MBA, is strongly preferred. Project management certification (e.g. PMP) is also preferred.
We Consider Applicants For All Positions On The Basis Of Merit, Qualifications And Business Needs, And Without Regard To Race, Color, National Origin, Religion, Sex, Gender Identity, Age, Disability, Alienage Or Citizenship Status, Ancestry, Marital Status, Creed, Genetic Predisposition Or Carrier Status, Sexual Orientation, Veteran Status, Familial Status, Status As A Victim Of Domestic Violence Or Any Other Status Or Characteristic Protected By Applicable Federal, State, Or Local Law.
Nearest Major Market: New York City
Nearest Secondary Market: Newark
Job Segment: Telecom, Telecommunications, Computer Science, Program Manager, Service Desk, Technology, Customer Service, Management