Posted on Nov 21, 2018 by Under Armour
We seek an outstanding candidate with demonstrated leadership experience and a professional track record of exceptional performance in key financial leadership oversight positions. Significant experience in public accounting and large multinational corporations is highly valued, as is an exceptional depth of technical accounting knowledge and expertise with US GAAP. The ideal candidate will have had extensive public accounting experience in a Big 4 Firm as well.
The responsibilities of this position require the Assistant Controller to have exceptional foresight and objectivity, as well as a proven capacity for rendering mature business decisions. The successful candidate will have broad exposure to all fundamental accounting disciplines including general accounting, internal and external financial reporting, auditing, cost accounting, taxation, and information systems. The Assistant Controller will have increasing responsibility for establishing and implementing the strategic direction for Accounting. This position contributes to driving financial performance within the organization while ensuring an effective control environment is maintained. The position serves as a strategic partner and subject matter expert on technical accounting matters to Global Leadership Team and supports the Corporate Controller with communication and presentation to the Audit Committee and Board of Directors. In addition, the role will work with business unit Leaders to support the operational and financial needs of the business and functions. As a member of the Finance Leadership team, this role, and its peers, have responsibility for actively owning the strategic direction of Global Accounting functions, building a cohesive team, developing talent, setting priorities and communicating clarity on those priorities throughout the organization. This role reports directly to the Corporate Controller and is expected to demonstrate traits as key successor to the Corporate Controller.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical support in connection with all external filings with the SEC
- Manage regulatory compliance, corporate policies and procedures, internal control matters, and other financial regulatory/compliance efforts.
- Establish and ensure compliance with Financial Closing Schedule
- Manage closing schedule process improvement in order to provide required financial data in a timely, accurate manner
- Take the lead role on global close procedures and coordinate with Corporate Tax, Treasury, and External Reporting teams.
- Monitor financial trends and provide senior management with detailed reports and analysis; advise on problem matters and recommend courses of action designed to correct or reduce their impact
- Direct the development and implementation of accounting policies and procedures designed to promote compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, promote internal efficiency and address specific problem areas.
- Coordinate the activities of external auditors. Manage the audit relationship and the audit activities throughout the year.
- Ensure all technical accounting updates are implemented throughout the company.
The Assistant Controller will be an accomplished accounting and/or controllership professional with proven financial skills and solid business acumen. The successful candidate will also have a structured and practical problem-solving orientation, proven success designing, implementing and managing accounting functions in a large and complex public company environment. Additionally, the candidate will possess:
- Impeccable ethics
- A strong technical background, including a significant knowledge of current FASB/SEC and other accounting rules.
- Strategic thinker
- An Ability to communicate and liaise with colleagues at all levels within the company.
- Demonstrated project management skills and the ability to handle multiple priorities under a tight deadline.
- Experience with international accounting practices and operations including foreign currency translation.
- A hands-on, meticulous and detailed nature.
- An affinity to the timely and accurate production of accounting and operational reports and other metrics.
- The ability to quickly and effectively react to the changing needs of a dynamic company in a results-driven environment.
- Ability to operate in a contemporary, digital fashion.
Education and Experience
- 15+ years of internal accounting operations experience or a mix of internal accounting and public accounting.
- 5+ years of experience working in a corporate accounting department of a publicly traded company and 5+ years of Big 4 public accounting experience would be ideal.
- Bachelors/Masters in Accounting; MBA desirable; CPA required
- Assistant Controller or Corporate Controller experience within a public company is strongly preferred.
- Experience or ability to manage quarterly reviews and annual audits with our external public accountants.
- Wholesale and/or Retail Industry experience in a plus.
- SAP ERP system experience a plus.
At Under Armour, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Under Armour believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.