Director of Association Aquatics
Posted on Nov 14, 2018 by YMCA
Take the next step in your career with this rewarding opportunity to join the YMCA of South Hampton Roads!
YMCA of South Hampton Roads
Take the next step in your career with this rewarding opportunity to join the YMCA of South Hampton Roads, as Director of Association Aquatics, in Chesapeake, Virginia. You will love the city of Chesapeake, with great schools, and convenient shopping centers. The beach resort area of Virginia Beach is only miles away. The Outer Banks, NC are only a short drive away.
The YMCA of South Hampton Roads association is recognized as a cutting edge leader in the membership arena. The association serves the communities of: Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Virginia Beach, Eastern Shore of Virginia, Outer Banks and Elizabeth City, North Carolina. We are the 8th largest membership YMCA in the United States with 40,000 membership unites and 110,000 members. Our facilities consist of 22 family centers a resident camp 2 regional outdoor day camps, 6 program locations of The First Tee of Hampton Roads and over 45 licensed child care sites.
Under the direction of the Chief Operating Officer, and in accordance with Association policies, the Director of Association Aquatics leads all aspects of aquatics in the YMCA of South Hampton Roads Association. This position is responsible for the aquatic elements of: strategic development, budgeting, operations, safety, property care, and staff development. All aspects of this role strive to develop the aquatics portfolio and provide a secure environment for people of all ages to enjoy.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
The YMCA of South Hampton Roads is committed to the development of staff leadership. In addition to a robust benefit program, the YMCA of South Hampton Roads also provides training to secure a promising future for our employees and our association. Excellent benefits package includes competitive pay, generous time off, membership, health benefits and the industry leading 12% retirement plan.
CLOSING DATE OF APPLICATION AND SEND TO:
Submit on line application, and upload cover letter, references, and resume in one document, by Monday, November 5th, 2018, on the YMCA of South Hampton Roads' Job Opportunities Job Board at
Internal Candidates: Currently active employees of the YMCA of South Hampton Roads should apply through Careers in the Dayforce Employee Account.
- Bachelor's degree with a minimum of six years in aquatic management required with multi-site experience preferred
- Current Lifeguard, CPR for the professional rescuer, YMCA Swim Instructor V.6 required with a strong preference for LGI's and V.6 trainers or faculty certifications
- Minimum age of 21
- AFO or CPO certification
- Excellent personal computer skills and experience with standard business software
- Requires strong organizational skills, the ability to prioritize workloads in order to meet deadlines as well as being detail-orientated and conscientious
- Must have good interpersonal, public relations and communications skills, including the ability to make presentations
- Flexible Schedule and the ability to work days, nights, and weekends
- Will be required to walk, stand, kneel, stoop, push, and lift up to 100 pounds.
- While performing duties the employee may occasionally work in the outside weather conditions, and is exposed to wet, cold and /or humid conditions
- Continuous operations requiring attention to detail and multi-tasking
- Will be exposed to cleaning supplies
- Must be able to stand or sit for long periods of time
- Must be physically able to successfully complete required certifications
- Requires ability to remain alert
- Adequate ability to hear noises and distinguish distress signals
- Ability to continuously scan all areas of the pool with clear vision
- Requires ability to perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for a water rescue
- Skills to communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud situations
An offer of employment is contingent upon receipt of satisfactory results to meet minimum requirements of the position. They may include criminal background and reference checks, E-Verify, drug test, driver's license record, and/or a Child Protective Services Check (CPS). Additional driver's license check, CPS, criminal background check, alcohol, and/or drug testing may be required to be processed in the future in order to meet and/or maintain the requirements of this position.
Division of Duties:
- 40% Maintain a safe aquatics operation - including physical facilities with trained and ready staff
- 30% Growth of aquatics programing - Swim Lessons and Swim Team
- 15% Management of Operations - Certifications, Audits, In-Services, Chemical Logs, etc.
- 15% Staff Development - Recruiting, Hiring, and Training
2. Develop and implement quality control measures to ensure delivery of quality programs; integrated marketing approaches, smooth enrollment processes, coordination of recruitment strategies and regular reporting progress of core outcomes are achieved
3. Serve on the Leadership Alliance and lead the Aquatics Cabinet
4. Conduct regular market research and prepare statistical, analytical and narrative reports regarding strategies to achieve objectives as set forth in the program strategic plan
5. Develop audit systems to determine compliance with the Aquatic Safety Plan (ASP) while ensuring quality benchmarks are met in program delivery and member satisfaction
6. Audit staff, programs and practices for ASP standard compliance and quality control through regular and documented onsite visits
7. Identify program issues and provide solutions to department and center leadership to increase program satisfaction substantiated by data, surveys, and trends
8. In collaboration with center leaders, provide recommendations for center specific quality improvement.
9. Lead staff training around certifications, program development, volunteer training, program innovation and best practices compliance
10. Provide positive influence and direction for program leaders that focus them on meeting and exceeding outcomes which are reviewed and verified through audits, surveys, and on-site visits. Provide documented recommendations to center leadership for employee issues
11. Coordinate communication across departments to ensure streamlined projects aligned with priorities and leveraging strengths of centers, membership and Child Care Services
12. Analyze, compile and present program recommendations based on usage and enrollments
13. Support smooth day-to-day business operations during leadership transitions, while exemplifying high customer service, and clear communications between departments, centers and the YMCA Corporate Office
14. Manage BLS and Aquatic trainings ensuring adequate volume and quality of class offerings and compliance to standards
15. Develop, manage and grow community relationships to maximize collaborative efforts, access to resources resulting in sponsorships and program growth
16. Support the annual campaign by connecting community partners to our cause, securing gifts and sponsorships in support of program development
17. Other duties as assigned
Cause-Driven Leadership® Competencies
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Multi-Team Leader):
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Ys values. Ensures a high level of service with
a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships
to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights..... click apply for full job details