Sr. Lead, Corporate Strategy
Posted on Nov 20, 2018 by Under Armour
Corporate Strategy is embedded at the global corporate level and drives and coordinates the strategic vision for all our strategy teams, which include the corporate group as well as strategists embedded throughout our business units. We work cross-functionally to frame complex and ambiguous issues, conduct consumer, competitive, and market analyses, field research, create financial models, and develop action plans
Ultimately, we have ownership of setting the direction of our total company strategy, which involves determining the role that each part of the business (e.g., each region, country, sport category, support function) will play in the overall corporate portfolio. Building on that, we are responsible for influencing the business to ensure that that strategy is embedded into our business plans, culture, and business execution efforts. Finally, we work to adjust strategy when appropriate, based on the company vision and mission, evolving market forces, available resources, and overall company performance, which is determined based on a set of pre-aligned, company-wide key performance indicators.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities of the Team
The Corporate Strategy Team's job is to keep Under Armour growing in a healthy way, prioritizing resources and investment, and generally moving in clear and determined strategic direction by executing on the following actions:
- Develop, follow, maintain, and evolve a clear, actionable strategic process that results in a defined 3-5 year strategic plan for the entire Company. This includes leading and managing executive leadership, as well as coordinating business management, strategy, and finance functions across the entire Company
- Establish a long range, cross-functional strategic roadmap
- Work with executive leadership to develop the strategy portfolio, including the recommended role of each part of the business (e.g., regions, sport categories, support functions)
- Develop specific medium-term strategic plans to realize this roadmap
- Lead the strategic business planning & investment process to action the roadmap
- Drive the KPI process & alignment to ensure the business executes on strategic plans
- Manage and drive the content of key executive meetings used to create and evaluate execution on strategic plans, including: twice annual executive leadership strategy meetings; quarterly business review meetings; annual budget and strategy execution preparation meeting
- Lead transformational projects and initiatives in collaboration with cross-functional teams across the entire business (including front end production and commercialization and backend support functions)
- Work with regional and category strategist colleagues on coordination of strategic direction and execution throughout the business
Primary Roles and Responsibilities of the Manager, Corporate Strategy
Long-Range Strategic Planning Process: Help drive creation, facilitation, and ownership of all parts of the ideation process around defining what the future UA portfolio will look like. This Includes coordinating and managing local and offsite meetings with key executive leadership and updating our 2020 Roadmap as needed based on the Company's priorities.
3-5 Year Plan Operating Rhythm and Strategic Investment Process: Own, drive, manage, facilitate, and evaluate output from the 3-5 year planning process, including influence on and coordination of plans coming from each individual business unit and support function. Includes responsibility for organizing and leading a series of internal, cross-functional planning meetings - including strategic, operational, and tactical forums designed to create and follow the 3-5 year corporate plan through to realization.
Primary focus is on 3 strategic forums that help shape, drive, and execute on the short-medium term strategic priorities for the entire Company, all drawn off of the long-range strategic planning process: (1) 3-5 year portfolio creation, including roles of each business unit and support function as part of the whole; (2) sport category and region plan setting; and (3) functional support plan creation 3-Year Planning that help drive the long-medium term strategic priorities for the entire Company.
Responsibilities include supporting senior strategy leaders in partnering with key leaders across all business units to assist in the development of their 3-5 year annual business plans and analysis of revenue and cost projections, to determine if individual plans add up to realize Company-wide goals within a reasonable, executable economic model.
Strategy Evaluation Process: Responsible for supporting management of the Strategy Evaluation process as the defined project manager responsible creating and coordinating an on-going process to read and react to the fluid state of our Strategy in partnership with Finance/Strategy Partners, FP&A and Strategic Projects
- Strategy Scorecard: Support senior strategy leaders in continual reevaluation and improvement upon a scorecard for executives to monitor and adjust our strategy based on key performance indicators.
- Executive Committee and Quarterly Business review Meetings: Help manage and coordinate the ExCom Meetings from the perspective of the 3-5 year plan, to review Key performance indicators and monitor investments made to date as well as discuss additional investment opportunities as they come up.
- Contingency & GAP Analysis: Perform deep dive analytics on our strategy to assess GAPs and develop contingencies to our strategy.
Ad-hoc Business Improvement Projects: Act as a key player to identify, through the 3-5 year planning process, cross-functional business projects to be undertaken to improve UA's position, both from revenue and cost perspectives. Work collaboratively with other corporate strategy teammates to drive significant parts of strategy projects, including liaising with junior to senior leaders in the various business units across the Company.
Required Skill and Personality Competencies of the Senior Manager, Corporate Strategy
Be able to analyze and make sense of internal and external data, to independently come to preliminary recommendations for senior strategy executives to consider. Distil more complicated ideas and recommendations to simple, digestible conclusions and recommended actions; communicate these effectively both in written (ppt) and oral presentation form
In addition to strong analytics to analyze business unit and function output, project management is critical to the success of this process as you will be responsible for managing complex calendars, facilitation of key meetings, and communicating to drive key strategic investment decisions based on these plans to ultimately support our 3-5 year strategic plan.
- Creative and strategic thinker
- Detail Oriented
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Very good presentation skills
- Team focused
- Action oriented player who is comfortable driving projects independently, with senior guidance
- Work under pressure quickly, effectively and efficiently
- High relationship ability (able to understand and relate to different teammate audiences across the Company, at all levels - both very senior and junior)
Necessary qualifications of for the Senior Manager, Corporate Strategy
Education and/or Experience
B.A required, MBA or relevant graduate degree a plus
8+ years work experience, in either management consulting, or a relevant industry, or both - with preference for 3-5 years pre-MBA and additional post-MBA experience
At Under Armour, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Under Armour believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.