Posted on Nov 17, 2018 by ESPN
Within the Technology Organization, the Project Manager is responsible for managing large-scale, complex projects from initiation through closure. These initiatives will involve daily hands on management of technology activities utilizing Agile and Scrum based software development practices; with additional responsibilities to include non-technical tasks such as user training, business process reengineering and organizational change. This role requires a wide range of leadership competencies, technical (PM) experience and communications skills.
Responsible for managing projects using the ESPN Work Life Cycle and standard processes, tools and methodologies, which include the development of the scope of work and the management of time, cost, risk, and communications. The position operates in a matrix environment, developing multi-talented, cross-functional teams and guiding them through processes that most effectively deliver business solutions.
- Manages all aspects of software development based projects from Initiation through Closure.
- Plans, coordinates and directs all activities associated with developing project plans, communication plans, project schedules, etc. by adapting PM fundamentals to best support assigned projects
- Leverage significant experience with Agile and SCRUM methodologies to lead project teams on a daily basis to the successful delivery of software development related projects
- Responsible for team dynamics, morale and motivation
- Builds a team where all members and points of view are respected
- Develops and maintains project plans
- Lead Project Teams through identifying and managing risk and the resolution of issues
- Accountable for delivering 'quality' solutions that provide desired business benefits and/or solve business problems - 'on-time' & within budget
- Able to quickly solve complex problems in a challenging, dynamic environment with minimal direction
- Effectively communicates with business and technical senior management, project teams and stakeholders
- Communicates to convince and influence key decision-makers / stakeholders in a manner that best serves ESPN
- Facilitator - must be able to:
- Facilitate meetings / workshops with large groups of people beyond the project team
- Facilitate the project team through the resolution of complex issues
- Ensure group participation
- Drive workshop/meeting to conclusion and/or actionable outcome
- Develop and deliver outcomes/results/notes in a manor appropriate to the level of the group
- Minimum of 5 years of experience managing formal application software development projects and/or functional organizations
- Minimum of 3 years of hands-on experience with Agile/Scrum methodologies developing software applications, playing the role of scrum master effectively
- Excellent business and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Should be highly skilled in time management to facilitate involvement in multiple project
- Must have excellent leadership, team management, relationship building, and interpersonal skills.
- PMI Certification preferred with thorough understanding of Project Management Methodologies & Techniques
- CSM / CSP Certification preferred with thorough understanding of Scrum Agile Methodologies
- A passion for sports!
- BS, BA, or advanced degree in computer science, engineering or related field
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That's because we're always finding new ways to interact with fans - however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we're doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Technology Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN Technology Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.