Posted on Nov 20, 2018 by MLB Advanced Media
Position: Software Engineer
Reports to: Director, Software Engineering
The Software Engineer position is responsible for creating the code powering the baseball experience as part of Major League Baseball Advanced Media. Launched in 2001 as the tech arm of Major League Baseball, MLBAM is renowned for creating experiences that baseball fans love - and we're just getting started!
The Software Engineer position offers the opportunity to collaborate with other world-class engineers, product developers, and designers; contribute to award-winning and complex apps and systems; influence the innovation of products used by millions globally; and work in a highly collaborative, results-oriented, team environment.
Using cutting edge technology, our software is consumed by fans, broadcasters, stadiums, MLB Clubs and the League itself. We are looking for Software Engineers that are passionate about building new technologies for the baseball industry.
Core Responsibilities Coding
- Write clean, concise, modular code that is easily testable.
- Work on a backend technology stack including Java 8, Spring, SQL, Scala, Akka, and R.
- Work on a frontend technology stack including Angular, Express, and React.
- Participate in an agile environment.
- Participate in the full software development lifecycle (requirements gathering, designing, building, testing and maintenance).
- Participate in code reviews.
- Lead and take ownership of critical projects and your own initiatives.
- Introduce the technologies you feel passionate about.
- Influence the innovation of products used by millions of users worldwide.
- Work alongside top data scientists on data analysis, machine vision and NLP.
- Change the way baseball is consumed.
- An avid learner, independent with excellent problem-solving skills.
- Passionate about mentoring peer developers, providing code reviews, etc.
- Computer science/engineering degree --or-- equivalent experience
- Exposure to Amazon Web Services
- Familiar with messaging queues: ActiveMQ, Kafka, Kinesis and SNS/SQS
- Experience with SQL databases
- Understanding of big data concepts and knowledge of big data languages/tools such as Hive, Pig, Mahout or Spark
- Experience with 3D modeling and statistical analysis of 3D models
- Can explain the difference between FIP and ERA to the creator of FIP
- 5+ years of experience using JVM languages (Java, Scala, Kotlin)
- Experience building large and scalable public facing applications
- Skilled in back end technologies: Java, Node
- Skilled in middle-ware technologies: Kafka
- Experience building large and scalable applications
- Experience contributing to open source projects
Goldman Sachs USA
Goldman Sachs USA