Java Software Engineer III
Posted on Nov 30, 2018 by ESPN
As a Software Engineer III in Data Platforms, you will help build, enhance and support the underlying data architecture for all of ESPN's sports data that serve our business and 112 millions of fans across the globe on digital and broadcast with millisecond latency. We want an amazing Software Engineer to join our team. We are looking for someone who is creative, passionate, and excited about building/enhancing a modern tech stack in a cloud environment.
You would be exposed to all phases of software development and architecture and would have the opportunity to work on our real-time end to end data processing pipeline, persistence, storage and API's. This is a chance to work with the newest cloud based data technologies to solve scalability and high availability challenges within a motivated, fast growing team. This is a critical role that will have a significant impact on the direction of our product, technology and business.
- Build cool things - Build software across our entire cutting-edge data platform, including data processing, storage, and serving large-scale web APIs, with awesome cutting-edge technologies. We operate in real-time with high-availability.
- Innovate and inspire - Think of new ways to help make our data platform more scalable, resilient and reliable and then work across our team to put your ideas into action.
- Participate in the creation and support of systems and tools that help maintain the data/integrity of all ESPN Data Platforms systems.
- Collaborate with the rest of the team in the analysis and resolution of hard engineering problems involving high trafficked web application services and API's, as well as the ingestion, storage and distribution of all the data that comes into ESPN.
- Be involved in the requirements gathering, analysis, design, development, testing, deployment, and maintenance of systems that support or enhance other applications within our environment.
- Provide support to other teams and members troubleshooting production issues, including taking part of the on-call rotation.
- Have 5+ years of experience with different programming languages (Java a must) and technologies/frameworks to implement data ingest, processing, and serving technologies.
- Experience with real-time messaging frameworks (e.g. Kafka) and very large scalable online systems is preferred.
- Excellent programming skills and strong knowledge of the Java platform and Java web applications (Spring/Tomcat/etc) as well as experience with relational and non-relational databases. Experience building and supporting high-performance applications.
- Must have hands-on experience with developing/running/sustaining applications in Cloud environments, with preference towards AWS.
- Exposure to full lifecycle of an application development, including best practices like unit testing, code reviews, documentation, etc. Interest in industry trends on new technologies, best practices and solutions. A passion for innovation and raising the bar in all development aspects.
- Demonstrated ability to work on a diverse scope of software and database projects requiring detailed analysis, creative/practical problem solving. Strong analytical skills as well as solid capabilities for debugging and troubleshooting.
- Prior experience building internet scale platforms.
- Experience with different messaging frameworks (Kakfa, Redis, MQ, etc)
- Experience working with diverse NoSQL databases (Cassandra, Mongo, Couchbase, Memcached, etc)
- Experience with Apache open source and collaboration in Open Source projects
- Experience working in multiple environments (Windows, Linux, cloud-based architectures, etc)
- Ability to profile, analyze and optimize JVM performance and experience with multiple JVM profiling tools
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field, and/or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years related work experience
- Masters Degree in Computer Science or related field.
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That's because we're always finding new ways to interact with fans - however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we're doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Technology Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN Technology Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.