Senior Design Engineer
Posted on Nov 18, 2018 by Specialized Bicycle Components
Are you ready to partner with cross-functional teams to engineer meaningful and innovative products that inspire cyclists and lead the industry? Do you enjoy product design, problem solving, and coaching ? Are you an expert at managing engineering projects from concept through production? Would others call you a natural at solving problems and improving processes? Do you relish making products more innovative, relevant and useful in a rider-first environment? Are you an avid cyclist and an expert bike mechanic? If you answer "yes" to these questions, we want to talk to you!
HOW YOU'LL MAKE A DIFFERENCE (Your responsibilities)
- Engineering Responsibilities
- Be a key go-to person for technical questions for the team.
- Deliver all assigned projects to a production-ready state. One or more major projects will be assigned each year, depending on project scope. Indented responsibilities apply to assigned projects:
- Execute and oversee all aspects of the project from concept to production, utilizing supporting resources (R&D, design engineers, development engineers, project managers, etc.)
- Travel to Asia to support development engineering as needed, approximately 6 trips per year.
- Create 3D on 1st size for some projects (utilizing CAD specialist for other sizes,) all sizes for other projects.
- Create test plans, diagnose test lab failures and advise on improvements.
- Lead engineering design reviews and offer critical feedback and advice to less experienced engineers.
- Ability to handle own project management work (including PLM) for projects as assigned.
- Leadership Responsibilities:
- Set an example for younger engineers in the areas of professional conduct, work ethic, engineering process, continuous improvement, factory relations, etc.
- Mentor & teach engineers on all phases of projects including carbon development engineering.
- Work with technical management team on improvement projects at factories. Will be assigned specific improvement projects to manage. For assigned projects, will work directly with the factory to achieve goals. As part of this responsibility, you may lead a team on Continuous Improvement (both SBC and supplier team members).
- Teach areas of technical expertise to engineers in MH needing assistance
- Provide feedback to engineering manager on regular basis on any improvements the engineers need to achieve.
- Coach the team on use of tools such as Agile, Creo, NPI, Design Standards, CCT, FMEA, PPAP, etc.
W HAT YOU NEED TO WIN
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering with 10 years of progressively more advanced product engineering experience
- Two years mentoring less experienced engineers
- Fluent in CREO (Pro/e) CAD software with the ability to utilize surfacing features.
- Experience in using GD&T in 2D and ability to train engineers in GD&T
- Experience with PLM systems and document control.
- Ability to balance multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Machine shop skills, including lathes, mills, and welder
- Experience working with international cultures and factories and a willingness to travel
First and foremost, we are riders. We share the core belief that bikes help make the world a better place. From product development and operations, to finance and marketing - every role at Specialized contributes to a culture of sustainable, global growth and innovation. Around the world, we work to recruit candidates who are passionate and curious with the belief that everyone has the potential to be a leader.