Posted on Nov 21, 2018 by Backcountry.com
The ideal Manager of Engineering will be obsessive about making the customer thrilled about the products the team builds. This role requires an intense passion for technology & scalable architectures, which should come across in every action. The position would be best suited for someone who is well-versed in ecommerce retail and driven to technological superiority, particularly over competitors. The manager will also have a true belief in serving great engineers, creating trust relationships with stakeholders and creating a world class team through strategic hiring, and continual development of employees' potential.
ABOUT THE JOB:
- Build a great engineering team by developing a strategic talent acquisition process focused on acquiring smart and enterprising engineers, and providing meaningful growth feedback to individuals on the team.
- Build constructive relationships with stakeholders. Communicate the status and objectives of the technical operations of the team in a way that business and non technical users can understand.
- Leverage training resources and coaching skills to help the team members to become full stack engineers that are able to contribute on multiple areas of the business.
- Coach & mentor our engineers to become good leaders, who can individually drive the technology in their respective areas of responsibility.
- Implement engineering best practices that enable your teams to succeed in a highly agile environment and deliver software in a Continuous Delivery fashion.
- Implement improvements around the current Software Development Quality Assurance process in order to decrease defects and incidents while allowing the team to continue to move fast.
- Empower the MotoSport software developers and their Agile Scrum process so they continue to deliver value to the business and pursue the culture of continuous improvement based on the tools offered by the framework.
- Maintain, improve and continually iterate upon an e-commerce platform that is modular, scalable, high performance and provides a compelling customer experience on multiple devices.
- Partner effectively with business stakeholders and the product management team in product & feature definition while also enabling them to understand the importance of technical non-functional requirements of the products and platforms.
- The product roadmaps coming out of your collaboration with business stakeholders and the product management team should be jointly owned and reflect the right mix of functional and non-functional features.
- Represent the Engineering department at the local business [MotoSport] table, and represent MotoSport within the larger Backcountry Engineering Leadership team.
- Coordinate local technology incident response and aid with prioritization of workload and requirements gathering.
- ABOUT YOU:
- Track record of building engineering teams with deep involvement in hiring process and demonstrated ability to distinguish between moderate and great engineers.
- Effective communication of technical status reports, roadmaps, incidents and other engineering events to non technical stakeholders.
- Track record of coaching, mentoring and growing engineers to become leaders and managers.
- Experience managing software development, helping fine-tune estimates, honing definitions of done, and improving quality of output and time to delivery.
- Track record of successfully leading engineering teams that deliver outstanding web & mobile products in the consumer Internet space.
- Fluency in a wide breadth of technologies and proven ability to step outside of a well-defined "technology footprint" to lead multiple teams & functions. Experience managing a PHP/MSSQL stack is a plus.
- Technical acumen and experience necessary to absorb technical details to confidently sign off on architectures of the products and features built by the team.
- Track record of implementing engineering best practices of TDD, Test Automation, modular designs, designing for "roll forward" and "roll back" etc. to be successful in a highly Agile environment.
- Solid understanding of modern architectures for web applications. Track record of interaction with services, events, caching, monitoring & alerting.
- Familiar with the concepts and practices behind DevOps to encourage ownership about all the life cycles of an application, collaboration with other teams, and the constant improvement of processes with the right toolset.
- Success managing a technical environment in the cloud (AWS is preferred).
- Experienced with SQL Server Database development and troubleshooting. Good understanding of relational databases. Knowledge about non relational databases is a plus.
- Success in implementing Continuous Delivery.
- Track record of leadership in driving and managing change - showing excellent communication skills, partnership skills and ability to inspire engineers.
- Experience managing offshore resources will be considered a plus.
MotoSport.com is more than a powersports company. We are a gathering of power sports devotees who ride and wrench like there's no tomorrow... just like our customers. Because we 're living the moto life, we make sure that we have the right parts and gear for you - whoever you are. But we wouldn't be that different from the other guys if we just had a ton of stuff, would we? So we'll do you one better: here at MotoSport.com we have a wealth of expert knowledge that comes from experience. That means our customers get the right parts and gear every time, and we go above and beyond to get it there in time. At the end of it all, we strive to make people (who aren't that different from us) happy and satisfied... after all, we know what it's like to be passionate about powersports, so who better to bring that enthusiasm to life than MotoSport?
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. MotoSport employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.
Check us out in action here:
- Out for a Rip