Sr Director, Enterprise Analytics
Posted on Nov 20, 2018 by Columbia Sportswear
This role will oversee critical and business-relevant data analytics activities in alignment with CSC's overall vision and strategic direction. This role will be key in evangelizing data and analytics capabilities with business leadership to help drive adoption of data-driven decision making.
This role requires excellent collaboration, influencing and teamwork skills, to work in a matrixed environment and understands the business context and importance of driving innovation and best practices.
Enterprise Data Roadmap
Initially, the primary focus for this role will be to serve as the business lead for development, prioritization and execution of an enterprise data roadmap.
- Establish an enterprise data roadmap, guide data strategy and prioritization with senior leadership, collaborate with key business stakeholders, and lead a team of business and technical resources to deliver enterprise data.
- Act as the product owner for an enterprise data workstream to make meaningful progress towards delivering enterprise data assets.
- Provide subject matter expertise on analytics best practices to inform data prioritization and ensure appropriate integration with business processes.
- Serve as an advocate for both business value and healthy information architecture, balancing immediate analytic business value with strategic and scalable data assets.
Enterprise Strategic Initiatives
As a leader for enterprise business analytics, this role will engage to support strategic initiatives requiring analytical support.
- Engage with the company's Consumer First strategic initiative which is focused on delivering a global retail ERP platform including related reporting and analytical capabilities to support our direct-to-consumer businesses. Play a lead role representing the company's greater enterprise reporting and analytical needs within the Consumer First initiative.
- Champion the development and/or support of purpose-built analytical capabilities focused on driving data driven decisions including, but not limited to, product pricing, promotions and markdown optimization, product costing, supply chain, etc.
Over time, the focus of this role will shift toward development of an Analytics Center of Excellence (COE), leading the organization through agile, data driven decision making in support of Columbia Sportswear Company's brand led, consumer focused strategy.
- Develop a vision for the Analytics COE, gaining buy in from leadership and cross-functional partners through clearly demonstrated value of analytics and data driven decision making.
- Establish a high performing team that will help deliver enterprise data strategy and stewardship, help mature business analytics and visualization in priority areas, and establish capabilities to provide advanced analytics for specific use cases.
- Develop external analytic resourcing strategy: identify and select best in class external vendors and determine appropriate balance of in-house vs. outsourced staffing.
- Drive value through analytics: set measurable financial impact targets and hold the team accountable for achieving the results.
- Create and act as chair for a governing body that will be focused on enabling enterprise maturity of analytical capabilities through cross-functional collaboration and input on important data and analytics decisions for CSC.
- Establish a virtual community for analytics resources to promote transparency and knowledge sharing and drive analytical maturity across the organization to achieve best in class.
- Guide the development of critical analytic infrastructure by partnering with the technical team to identify and implement analytics tools to advance analytics maturity.
Specific Job Skills:
- Results-oriented leader with experience in building enterprise data and analytics strategy for the company
- Experience with visualization and self-service data prep, enterprise class data and reporting and analytics platforms
- Thinking and planning strategically, with ability to communicate the strategy to a large organization
- Successful track record working with executive level professionals to drive business outcomes
- Strong networking skills and ability to work across multiple organizations to accomplish diverse goals
- Demonstrated understanding of data and analytical business capabilities and methods, including applications in machine learning/AI and data science
- Hands-on data or analytics engineering experience with 'big data' based technologies and platforms
- Ability to guide data scientists in development of statistical models, poke at model statistics & conclusions
- Excellent verbal and written communication and collaboration skills to effectively communicate with both business and technical IT teams
- Leadership capability, including ability to motivate and mentor others
- Strong skills in team leadership and building positive business partner relationships
- Demonstrated ability to influence critical business outcomes in a matrix based, global environment
- Experience in using Analytics tools such as SAS, R, SPSS
- Bachelor's degree in Data/ Computer Science, Information Systems, Applied Math, or Business Information Management
- 10+ years of experience in an analytics-focused job with 5+ years in a leadership role. Functional experience building and managing consumer analytics functions, e.g., CRM, merchandising analytics, pricing and promotions
- Experience in retail, consumer goods, or apparel/footwear industries preferred