Associate Counsel - Benefits
Posted on Nov 18, 2018 by National Basketball Association
Advise on and manage legal matters primarily relating to certain NBA, WNBA, and G League benefit plans -- including plans for players, coaches, referees, and League Office staff -- and support the implementation and administration of these plans.
- Serve as primary day-to-day legal resource for various benefit plans (both League-administered and Taft-Hartley), insurance programs, and educational programs. Includes defined-benefit and defined-contribution retirement plans, nonqualified plans, annuity plans, and VEBA benefits.
- Collaborate with individuals from various departments, and work with outside counsel and consultants, to implement and administer plans/programs and related CBAs.
- Serve as primary contact person in dealings with the National Basketball Players Association on player benefit matters, and assist in the negotiation of benefit-related CBA provisions.
- Monitor legal and other developments related to fiduciary best practices and benefit plan design and administration.
- Communicate (in writing and orally) with members of the legal department, other senior League executives, and teams regarding benefit matters.
- Assist on other legal matters reflecting Department needs.
Required Experience & Knowledge:
- Strong understanding of ERISA, including extensive experience in ERISA litigation or other employee benefit matters.
- Record of distinguished academic and professional achievement.
- Minimum of three years of experience at a law firm and/or similar in-house experience.
- Exceptional analytical, problem solving, and issue-spotting skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and time-management capabilities.
- Must relate well to others and enjoy working in a collaborative environment.
Educational Background Required:
- Law degree and bar admission (NY)
We Consider Applicants For All Positions On The Basis Of Merit, Qualifications And Business Needs, And Without Regard To Race, Color, National Origin, Religion, Sex, Gender Identity, Age, Disability, Alienage Or Citizenship Status, Ancestry, Marital Status, Creed, Genetic Predisposition Or Carrier Status, Sexual Orientation, Veteran Status, Familial Status, Status As A Victim Of Domestic Violence Or Any Other Status Or Characteristic Protected By Applicable Federal, State, Or Local Law.
Nearest Major Market: Manhattan
Nearest Secondary Market: New York City
Job Segment: HR, Law, Compensation, Human Resources, Legal
National Football League