Sr Accountant, Corporate Tax
Posted on Nov 19, 2018 by Fanatics, Inc.
Fanatics is the global leader in licensed sports merchandise, Fanatics is changing the way fans purchase their favorite team merchandise by partnering with top leagues, clubs and soccer brands worldwide to offer the largest collection of timeless and timely gear from every pro and college team online, on your phone, in stadiums or on-site at the world's biggest sporting events. A top 50 Internet Retailer Company, Fanatics comprises the broadest online assortment by offering hundreds of thousands of officially licensed items via its Fanatics ( ), FansEdge ( ), Kitbag ( ), and Majestic ( ) brands, as well as the largest selection of sports collectibles and memorabilia through Fanatics Authentic ( ). A multi-channel company, Fanatics operates more than 300 online and offline stores, including the e-commerce business for all major professional sports leagues (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR, MLS, PGA), major media brands (NBC Sports, CBS Sports, FOX Sports) and more than 200 collegiate and professional team properties, which include several of biggest global soccer clubs (Manchester United, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Manchester City). The company's in-venue and event retail portfolio includes the NBA, NHL, NASCAR, Wimbledon, Kentucky Derby, The Ryder Cup, Manchester City, Texas Longhorns, Pittsburgh Pirates and New Jersey Devils, allowing fans to experience a seamless shopping experience across online, mobile and physical store locations.
As part of the Global Accounting Department's - Rotation Program, he or she will help develop and provide financial leadership by rotating every 12 to 18 months within one of the following areas: 1) Royalty and Revenue Sharing 2) Corporate, State & Local Taxes 3) Accounts Receivable & Credit 4) Retail Venues & Inventory Accounting Support 5) Accounts Payable 6) Wholesale Accounting
To be successful in this rotation program as a Senior Accountant, you must possess the desire to learn and develop and have attention to detail. The candidate must have demonstrated scholastic excellence and leadership qualities by maintaining a minimum GPA of 3.0 or better with extracurricular activities. In addition, we're looking for collaborative accounting professionals with the background and interpersonal skills sufficient to function successfully in a growth-enabling and challenging fast-paced environment. He or she must have the ability to embrace and assume "ownership" of various processes and task provided, with attention to detail. Individuals that have superior organizational, project management skills, and exceptional communication skills should apply.
We are looking for a forward looking, proactive leader with tax and accounting experience to facilitate the accurate preparation and filing of our company's state and federal tax forms. The ideal candidate is a team player who adds to the tax team working toward greater performance implementing new concepts and ideas and ability to integrate new businesses and systems as needed. The Corporate Tax Senior will assist in compliance with state, federal, and international tax law through a series of systems and system controls that are designed to ensure accurate, timely reporting. They will monitor current and impending changes to tax regulation and make the appropriate updates to policies and strategies. The ideal candidate is single minded in their pursuit of ensuring compliance and achieves this goal through collaboration and interpersonal skills sufficient to function successfully with other team members and groups within the Company.
The rotation program includes the following accounting and analytical support that may include but not limited to:
- Ensuring and developing a process for collection, tracking, analyzing, reporting and reconciliation of activity on a daily, weekly and monthly basis
- Ensuring and developing processes for the preparation and recording of required journal entries for certain entities/processes including daily transactions and monthly expense allocations
- Improve financial status by analyzing results and variances, identifying trends, and recommending actions
- Recommend to management any updates to accounting policies related to processes and procedures
- Acquire a deep understanding of the business processes related to assigned area/function (including general ledger accounts and transaction flow)
- Perform duties in compliance with GAAP, company and department policies and procedures, internal controls, and Sarbanes-Oxley requirements if needed
- Assist management on any and all accounting related issues
- Prepare ad hoc financial reporting requests, other analyses and special projects requested by management
- Assist with developing policies, including working with outside service providers as needed (KPMG, EY, etc.)
- Assist with the coordination of the Company's growth and expansion as needed
- Building upon the core accounting function that will facilitate proper accruals for rev share, royalties, sales tax, bad debt reserves and deductions, general P&L accruals, revenue recognition, inventory, travel & entertainment, year-end tax provision, and various other balance sheet items
- Facilitate the preparation and review the Company's income tax provision as dictated by ASC 740
- Facilitate the preparation and review company federal tax returns and the accurate, timely filing of all tax forms; domestic and foreign
- Ensure accurate, timely filing of consolidated federal, state and local income tax returns and other business related filings
- Facilitate the implementation of transfer pricing policies and implementation including Country by Country Reporting and other BEPS directives
- Assist in implementing strategic tax planning for all necessary federal, state, and international taxes
- Maintain overall return calendar and coordinate timing and inputs with tax team
- Maintain effective control procedures over all aspects of the tax process.
- Facilitate IRS income tax audits: preparing/reviewing responses, creating schedules, etc.
- Monitor legislative and regulatory tax law developments, communicate the effects of these developments to management and the tax team and create strategies to capitalize on changes to taxation legislation
- Research Accounting Standard Updates ("ASU") related to income taxes as well as research how any non-income tax related ASUs will affect income taxes
- Oversee and coach income tax accountant
- Assist with close, book entries, reconcile accounts; investigate discrepancies as needed
- Maintain incentive reporting packages
- Review initial responses to income tax notices
The ideal candidate will possess the following credentials:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting required
- Master's Degree in Accounting or Tax a plus
- 3+ years of experience in a senior tax or public accountant role; informal coaching or mentoring a plus
- Experience with ASC 740 Accounting for Income Taxes required
- Strong knowledge of tax code, compliance and procedures for corporations
- Familiarity with US federal, state, and local reporting requirements
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and stringent deadlines within a fast-paced environment is a must
- Strong ability to utilize project management and accounting best practices to organize and prioritize tasks and the tasks of other tax team members
- Must have strong analytical skills
- Must have excellent communication skills - verbal and written
- Ability to effectively work with individually as well as with multiple departments and levels within the organization
- Strong attention to detail, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to travel if needed
A CPA (Certified Public Accountant) seeking or desire for certification a plus (positive attribute)