Live Event Replay Operator (Media Operator)
Posted on Nov 12, 2018 by ESPN
ESPN Production Operations is a unit within the Production division of ESPN Content. Our staff comprises Network Control, Content Edit, Studio Operations, Production Control Rooms, Facility Resources and Business Operations. We also have specialists in resource project coordination and administration. Though we staff many traditional roles in the television industry, our work is produced and then converted into many formats for distribution on multiple linear and digital platforms.
The Production Control Room Group or PCR is the largest group in Production Operations and includes audio, TD and video playout/edit related positions. PCR staff work directly with our live studio shows and events to produce the highest quality product with our signature ESPN brand.
Media Operators (replay operators) are expected to use a replay device, such as EVS, DreamCatcher or Dyno, during live events and other productions where quick turnaround playback is needed. Responsibilities include building playlists, basic editing functions, creating in-game packages and cueing up and playing back replays.
In addition to operating on live events, Media Operators work with the directors and staff in the control room before and during productions. Work will be performed in a fast paced environment for a wide variety of studio shows and events. The Media Operator in the PCR group will be responsible for organizing, recording, editing and playing back server based material during live and pre-recorded productions while ensuring all content meets ESPN's high standards for video and audio quality. They are also responsible for local media management and naming conventions.
Our ideal candidate must be flexible with their schedule as this is a 24/7 operation and should expect to work nights, holidays and weekends. The ability to perform the job at hand under a tight deadline while demonstrating strong interpersonal communication skills is a must. Other skills that we are looking for in our candidates include: organizational and planning skills, being able to adapt to a constantly changing environment, strong communication skills and a good computer background with programs such as Outlook and Excel.
- Initiate records and play back isolated cameras specific to the production plan.
- Work with production to create replay packages related to the storylines of the live production.
- Be an active member of the pre and post production process including but not limited to: clipping off scenics, influencing the shots being used for air by making suggestion to production, creating billboards and making sure the proper parties receive the melts that are required.
- Organization and distribution of all server content used for recording and playback during control room productions.
- Checking the video and audio quality of content during live and recorded programming, setting up records of incoming feeds and editing show content.
- Replay/package turnaround for live events.
- Operating in a fast paced, high pressure and deadline driven environment.
- Demonstrating a basic knowledge of editing techniques on non-linear systems.
- Organizational and multitasking skills are required.
- Understanding complex information and disseminating it to proper personnel in a clear and concise manner.
- Measuring audio and video signals to ensure quality control of ESPN endorsed standards on all operations using comprehensive knowledge of broadcast methods.
- Seeking out information in regards to the workflow of other business units, including their impact and/or specific integration with Production Operations.
- Problem solving, troubleshooting and effective communication to best convey any issues needing resolution.
- Participation in training programs, (physical, classroom, virtual, etc.) for self-career development and/or regarding any relevant equipment and workflow changes within the operation.
- May participate in training others in operational areas and generating training documentation.
- Supporting ESPN Domestic networks, including Deportes, as well as all ESPN International networks.
- Participation in required administrative tasks including, but not limited to, the effective utilization of all ESPN software based applications such as time entry, travel and expense filing, and daily shift reporting.
- Embrace company initiatives including town and/or departmental meetings, upward feedback, performance management applications and employee surveys.
- A minimum of 2 years practical replay experience.
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Flexibility to alter shifts/days off and work overtime to accommodate projects and departmental objectives.
- Must demonstrate ability to perform tasks under tight deadlines, work independently and prioritize simultaneous projects.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills are a necessity.
- Organizational, efficiency and planning skills are required.
- Ability to work as a part of a team dynamic.
- Must be willing and able to adapt to constantly changing environment.Candidates must have good computer background (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc...) and strong communication skills.
- Experience in a live control room environment.
- Familiarity with a server playback system and non-linear editing systems such as Quantel.
- Candidates must have a good computer background (Outlook, ENPS, Word, Excel, etc...) including experience with computer network signal flow.
- Bilingual in both English and Spanish.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent.
- A College or Technical School degree in communications, electronics, television production or related field.
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That's because we're always finding new ways to interact with fans - however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we're doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN Productions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.