Content Editor - Sports
Posted on Nov 20, 2018 by CBS
This position would be a part of Studio 61, CBS Interactive's in-house creative and production team. Studio 61 collaborates with brands to create custom, scalable, premium content that entertains, informs, and engages our massive global audience, distributed through our respected and trusted CBSi sites.
You will serve as the Studio 61 sports branded content lead embedded within the CBS sports editorial programming team with a focus on translating the CBS Sports value into branded content leveraging sight, sound and motion across all digital platforms. You will lead branded content ideation, production, direction and fulfillment while leaning into our tentpole programming and focusing on how CBS Sports Digital can maximize return on investment for our clients. You are a die-hard sports fan who can drop stats at the drop of a hat, an expert in sports storytelling, sales positioning and have an affinity for drama and sizzle.
Day-to-Day and Long Term:
- Conceptualize, produce and edit high quality, long and short-form content in a wide range of styles to support the programming and sales calendar of the CBS Sports sales teams
- Create compelling client-specific content - videos, articles, video scripts, infographics and beyond - that leverage your deep sports talent relationships and access
- Participate in development brainstorms and the overall creative development process for Sports editorial and branded content
- Write copy and scripts to support the assets produced working hand-in-hand with the Sports editorial, integrated marketing department leads to provide different, innovative ideas that differentiate and create client-based value for our branded content
- Actively review and optimize content assets against client-based goals with a focus on simultaneously super-serving the CBS Sports Digital audience
- Collaborate with appropriate graphics department to conceptualize and coordinate the design identity for each project and supervise its cohesive execution
- Lead the development and productization of custom branded content programs and formats that deliver on market trending content types and client KPIs
- Manage workflow and project deadlines
- Be the expert on digital video editing and storytelling techniques to inspire and help staff editors
- Author and/or oversee development of client-specific content, with a major focus on video, especially what works on social. Other content like articles, video scripts, infographics, and beyond. Help craft creative design and flow
- Have and continue to develop a strong understanding of the sports vertical and the main trends evolving in the space
- Take lead on RFP's / brainstorms that pertain to your expertise, and your CBSi vertical of focus
- Build client relationships and trust, demonstrate an understanding of their business and how to drive revenue through branded content
- Work with Integrated Marketing and Sales to develop new ideas for clients- both proactively and reactively (in response to RFPs) while ensuring that they are realistic and profitable
- Work to create a unique approach/look to our videos and other Custom Content products that showcases quality and differentiates us in the marketplace
- Understand how to create content for desktop vs. tablet vs. smartphone environments, optimized for social platforms
- Review site side analytics data to gauge effectiveness of your content, optimizing results to drive ROI
- Lead the idea outlines and scripting and work with the Studio 61 video production team to help plan and produce large-scale video shoots and live events for well-known consumer brands.
- Collaborating with content producers and video producers and offering creative ideas and solutions as the video concepts are being developed.
- Working with well known talent (pro athletes / celebrities / influencers) and participating on-set to assist the Studio 61 video production team and talent as needed.
- Better understand the needs and behavior of our sports audience and sub-segments and proactively contribute to strategies to improve our relationship with them through client campaigns
- Assist in the development of new custom content products that is of commercial interest to both our audience and clients
- Maintain and refresh the existing custom content portfolio to keep the products relevant and profitable
- Develop quality revenue driving content across several forms and media
- Through our product portfolio and client campaign ideas, raise website traffic, improve time spent by our users, and drive 'shares' of our content
- Identifying up-sell and cross-sell opportunities through client relationship building
- Accompany the sales team, when required, to pitch ideas and drive bookings/IO's
- Contribute to Studio 61 brainstorms for various CBSi properties and clients
- Serve as a thought leader by finding and distributing relevant research to the global Sales and Integrated Marketing teams while outlining its implications and ideas for next steps
- Work with our Sports Business Intelligence/Programming teams, to keep a pulse on the types of topics which resonate organically
- Researching and being aware of organic sports stories in the field, which could be tapped for compelling branded content
What you bring to the team:
- BS/BA degree and/or at least 5+ year's experience as editor/producer within the digital sports space
- Experience developing 360 campaigns for different audience segments, that include online, live, and social media activations
- Highly organized and assumes responsibilities & accountability for assignments and tasks
- Exceptional video editing mindset and storytelling skills
- Able to simultaneously deliver on time multiple projects for multi-platform campaigns
- Team player able to prioritize work and approach each project with a positive, solutions-oriented mindset
- Experience in video production, specifically for online consumption/distribution
- Ability to quote pop culture movies and recognize quotes when spoken
- Key internal relationships include: Integrated Marketing (Global); Central Research & BI team; Editorial team; Product team; Sales team
- Must successfully pass background check
You might also have-
- Agency or branded content experience is a major plus.
- Relationships and access to multiple tiers of sports talent and agents
- Entrepreneurial, resourceful and proactive approach!
- Comfortable working independently, or collaboratively as part of a larger team.
- Ability and openness to wear many hats as needed for certain projects if bandwidth is low
- Occasional travel, weekend and/or after-hours availability required for certain projects.
- Knowledge in new and upcoming technology that will impact sports / athletic training