Manager, Public Affairs
Posted on Nov 17, 2018 by National Football League
Every member of the NFL community embraces our unique leadership role in society, and assumes the trust, character, and responsibility that comes with that role. The Manager, Public Affairs, will work closely with the Vice President of Public Affairs to use effective communications strategies to influence public policy, build and maintain a strong reputation, and find common ground with key stakeholders. S/He will be responsible for developing and implementing communications strategies for a variety of PR initiatives and programs - including those related to government affairs, player health and safety, and social responsibility/community relations - aimed at publicly positioning the NFL to key stakeholders.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Serve as a lead contact with sports, business and trade media to drive placements in high-profile outlets
- Work with media affiliates and partners, NFL clubs, league executives, and other external outlets
- Plan and execute press conferences, media availability, releases and story placement at NFL tentpole events and community events and throughout the calendar
- Additional duties and responsibilities as needed
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in related field and a minimum of 5 to 7 years of experience in communications, public relations, sports or cause marketing and CSR, athlete programs and events OR an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Excellent knowledge of the PR field including, media relations, executive/talent preparation, media training, storytelling and story placement and event coordination
- Strong relationships with key national and local sports, business and trade media
- Ability to lead, participate and support intra and cross-departmental activities in public relations, marketing, and social media
- Knowledge of current events and trends in the NFL, sports media, marketing and business
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, excellent organizational skills and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to proactively identify and promote programs, employing cutting edge communications tools and strategies - including direct to fan
Other Key Attributes / Characteristics:
- Intense and dedicated work habits. Someone who takes initiative, speaks his/her mind, and sets high standards in all he/she does.
- A person with the highest moral and ethical standards, who can be relied upon to always act in the best long-term interests of the League.
- This individual will be a strategic and proactive communications executive with the capacity to be a hands-on, sleeves-up team player.
- As needed
Expected Hours of Work:
- This is an exempt-level position and will require frequent work on nights, weekends and holidays.
National Football League