Sr Design Engineer I
Posted on Nov 19, 2018 by Nike
Always the innovators, Nike, Inc.'s Manufacturing and Engineering team dreams up new ways to make better-performing products faster and more efficiently. This world-class team challenges assumptions about how Nike's products are made and leads the company in pursuing ambitious sustainability goals, all while producing Nike's rich mix of product. Masters of teamwork, Manufacturing and Engineering works closely with design teams, categories, manufacturing partners, material suppliers and logistics providers across more than 40 countries on six continents. They navigate the complex geopolitical world with multiple supply chains and diverse ecosystems, while keeping their focus on manufacturing, materials, sustainability and creating quality products.
As our Senior Design Engineer I, you will join the team to lead in the product design, development, tooling design and manufacturing of products related to Nike Air. By leveraging your experience in 3D design and engineering, as well as experience and insights in product design and tooling, you'll identify and create the solution path given the problem(s) or project(s) to which you are assigned. You'll use concept sketches, 3D design software, simulation software, engineering, machine design knowledge and ideas, and hands on experience to explore, design, refine and carefully document product design, tooling designs and machine components. You'll work with designers, developers, engineers and mold and tooling centers to deliver and lead design projects, keeping in mind the current state of manufacturing, while always looking forward at new methods, tooling, or processes to push the boundaries of how new products can be manufactured. You will continually research, explore and educate yourself and others on evolving technologies, processes or tooling which makes new innovations in product design or manufacturing possible.
You'll use various methods of communication to assure key stakeholders are informed of your progress on projects. At times you will collaborate with customers, external vendors, and other teams to ensure your designs meet the needs of each project you are involved on.
You'll stay up to date on the critical skills required for your job through on-site training, conferences, or other functions which enable you to maintain a high level of performance.
- BS Degree in Mechanical, Manufacturing Engineering, or Plastics Engineering, including 5+ years' experience in the fields of mechanical design and engineering, and/or product design, engineering and tooling design of plastic consumer products
- Proficiency in Solidworks or similar 3D CAD software is required
- Experience in injection molding product design, tooling design, or processing is a plus
- Knowledge or experience in thermoforming is a plus
- Proven track record of innovative design skills on complex consumer products is a plus
- Ability to handle multiple competing projects simultaneously
- Ability to analyze complex problems, develop innovative solutions and deal with ambiguity and frequent changes in priorities
- Strong written and verbal skills is required
- Some lifting of tooling, parts and various equipment (up to 50lb)
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally on occasion