Sr Dir Applied Footwear Research
Posted on Nov 18, 2018 by Nike
Innovation is oxygen for Nike, Inc., and the company depends on its talented, global workforce to breathe originality and curiosity into everything they do. The Nike Advanced Innovation team strives for lighter, faster, bigger, smarter, smaller, more efficient, more sustainable and more personal. They imagine, research, analyze and invent the next industry-changing technology to advance athletic performance. In roles that span research, design, materials and manufacturing, the Advanced Innovation team looks to the future and focuses on making the seemingly impossible, possible.
As the Sr Director of Applied Footwear Research with the Nike Explore Team (NXT) Sport Research Lab, you will lead and inspire a multidisciplinary team of researchers who are focused on conducting basic and applied sport science and technology research aimed at delivering game changing innovations to make our athletes* measurably better. You will help shape and align the strategic vision of the research teams with the broader innovation goals for Nike Footwear, Exploration, and the rest of the NSRL. You will champion the role of science and research, while working across multiple functional units to ensure maximum impact to the business and the brand.
- Provides input toward the development, management, and execution of short and near-term strategies critical to the organization's success.
- Integrates brand, category (in-line & advanced), and advanced research, development and design plans.
- Anticipates future scientific research & methodological opportunities, trends, and vulnerabilities.
- Develops recommendations and executes high-impact opportunities to position the organization appropriately.
- Manages and prioritizes projects and programs within functional team, and broader business unit.
- Aligns scientific research/innovation projects across functional groups & functional teams.
- Partners in the development of multidisciplinary teams (defined or virtual)
- Aligns the scientific project strategy, including the goal, scope, structure, and timeline.
- Leads team throughout the project; ensures team identifies tasks and data required to answer research questions, provide valuable scientific insights, and apply the findings to performance products.
- Identifies and manages relationships with research partners.
- Leads team in establishing knowledge required and best practices to apply scientific insights towards innovative product.
People Management / Leadership
- Manages team and sets team and individual goals.
- Coaches staff, creates opportunities for staff development, and makes decisions or collaborates on hiring decisions, disciplinary actions, performance management, and recognition and rewards.
- Develops functional team structure that facilitates and maximizes individual and team performance.
- Obsesses human potential and empowers team to optimize performance and deliverables
- Displays high level of empathy towards staff
- Lead by example - create a culture of success
Ideation & Visioning
- Creates broad and inspiring vision for future consumer and business ideas based on the strategic goals of the NSRL functional team.
- Thinks outside normal paradigms to find creative ways around barriers to strategic goals of the functional team.
- Seeks better ways to integrate and colloborate with other functional teams.
- Meets complex challenges with imaginative state of the art approaches supported by feasible solutions.
- Advocates for NSRL performance research, and actively disseminates new ideas, insights, and concepts across multiple business groups, garnering support and buy-in.
- Markets concepts and new ideas internally and externally through Nike PR group.
- Initiates and leads meetings with appropriate individuals, teams, or outside companies during various phases of the research/innovation process to review, evaluate, update and drive the decision making process leading to the completion of the research agenda.
- Directs the application of scientific insights across NSRL and AR&D functional teams serving as consultant/resource to ensure scientific integrity during the "hand-off."
M.Sc or Ph.D. in human movement science (biomechanics, physiology, kinesiology), engineering, biomedical engineering, ergonomics, or related field. The candidate will have a minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience in a scientific setting, with 5 years experience in a management and/or leadership role. The candidate will have a proven track record leading a multidisciplinary team towards common goals in an industry setting. Experience in a sport science laboratory, with commonly used tools and analytical methods, is preferred. Experience in applying scientific insight to tangible product solutions is a plus.
As a successful candidate, you will demonstrate the following:
- Proven record of successfully leading, inspiring, and mentoring a multidisciplinary team of scientists to deliver impactful results to the business
- Ability to navigate a highly matrixed organization and deliver complex solutions to multiple business units
- Experience leading and inspiring multidisciplinary teams in an industrial setting
- Ability to communicate complex, and sometime controversial topics to a diverse audience.
- Advanced skills and abiltites in conducting research and applying scientific insights, specifically related to sport science, performance, and injury.
- Proven track record of applying scientific insights to influence innovative product.
- Display an entrepreneurial spirit
- Understand the connectivity between research, innovation, and business