Designer Apparel - APAC
Posted on Nov 14, 2018 by Columbia Sportswear
Works closely with the Product Creation team to design an apparel line for assigned styles. Specific focus on Asia Pacific region. Initiates and interprets new product concepts to meet the needs of our consumers, resulting in sales and growth for the company. Presents design concepts including fabrication, style definition and features for review by the product creation team. Manages design projects and works with team members to ensure that deadlines are met to reach Company goals.
- Extremely collaborative - Columbia's commercial designers are required to work very collaboratively with all cross functional partners in the product creation sphere.
- Lead by example in the effective utilization of the product creation team's resources, and works as a team member to ensure all timelines are met.
- Must specialize in collaborating with other team members, and be thorough in communication via email, WebEx, phone calls, etc. Must be able to receive feedback on proposed design work professionally.
- Must have strong presentation skills, and negotiate well with many different personality types. Able to build compelling and influential visuals to sell ideas and create understanding of product intent.
- Continuously provides innovative, best in class product design solutions to the entire product creation team for review and potential implementation. Maintains goal of continuous product innovation and improvement.
- Actively develops and grows knowledge of all garment construction techniques including the latest industry developments. Eagerly seeks out new ideas and information regarding assigned product type.
- Uses market research, industry experience, knowledge of the Columbia consumer, and brand positioning to provide a honed product feedback filter across the product division.
- May travel for consumer/product research as approved by Design Director. Works with category Senior Designer to help create category direction boards, including fabric, trend and design concepts. Presents trip reports which contain visuals and written summaries of current trends pertinent to our industry.
- Works closely with Senior Designer and Merchandising and in the evolution of the line plan and actively works to promote the seasonal product vision and brand positioning across the product division.
- Collaborates with Product Development to create and develop products that meet the merchandising product brief, brand vision and target cost. Works with Senior Designer to propose new trim ideas. Participates in the prototype process for assigned products. Includes initiating sample requests by working closely with the Product Engineer (s), reviewing samples and directing revisions as needed throughout the development cycle. Attends fit sessions and categorical team meetings as needed to facilitate process, revisions, and finalization of products.
- Works closely with Senior Designer and Materials Research to define new materials to research and source. Actively develops knowledge of all aspects of material technology and trend, and pursues continuous improvement. Participates in meeting all fabric development deadlines are for the product category.
- Works closely with Sourcing to create styles that hit target costs. Emphasize cost effective garment constructions while maintaining desired product attributes and performance. Acts as an advocate in the commercialization of new product elements to increase product benefit.
- Performs related administrative and design tasks as needed. May assist Senior Designer in administrative tasks.
- May require some international and domestic travel.
- Requires a bachelor's degree or equivalent specializing in apparel design, fabric arts, or
related field. Associate degree with 2-3 years related work experience acceptable in lieu of bachelor's degree.
- Minimum 5 years garment design/development experience in the apparel industry.
Experience with outdoor industry and apparel category highly preferred.
- Possess thorough knowledge of apparel design and development; merchandising
procedures, product materials, and production techniques.
- Knowledge of computer design software as well as the talent and ability to perform free
- Possess well-developed ability to read, write and speak English.
- Ability to work in a demanding, fast paced environment with a high level of adaptability.
- Mental ability to conduct complex interpersonal interactions with employees and
customers, troubleshoot, design, coordinate and perform special task/projects simultaneously, make decisions, operate independently and with discretion, and work effectively under pressure.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function in the company.
EEO/AA Employer/Vets/Disabled/Race/Ethnicity/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Age