Federal Premium Chemical Engineer
Posted on Nov 18, 2018 by Vista Outdoor
Responsibilities and Qualifications
Vista Outdoor is seeking a Chemical Engineer who will be responsible for design, construction, and maintenance of processes and equipment that pertain to the manufacture and handling of Class 1.1 explosives. This includes primer mix component batch processing, primer assembly, waste destruct, and related areas in the plant.
- Performs major project management including responsibility for capital expenditure justification and implementation, equipment/process design and development, project spending, project execution timing, and resource management
- Develops improvements to processes for the manufacture of energetic products and mixtures.
- Maintains and improves/automates existing processes consistent with Lean Manufacturing principles
- Introduces processes for manufacture of new products
- Assists in establishing specifications and procedures under which the new products and processes will be run
- Identifies and implements cost reduction opportunities
- Initiates preventive maintenance schedules and procedures
- Investigates and troubleshoots production process issues
- Organizes and facilitates analytical lab activities
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, or equivalent
- Minimum of 5+ years of Chemical Engineering experience in a manufacturing environment
- Thorough understanding and broad application of technical standards, principles, theories, and techniques
- Project management and organizing resources
Because this position works directly with the manufacture and handling of energetic materials and assemblies, it is essential that our ideal candidate have or gain immediate knowledge in the following areas:
- Hazardous Operations Protocols for construction and processes
- Safe methods peculiar to synthesis, handling, and processing of Class 1.1 primary explosives
- Small caliber ignition requirements, ballistics, and primer application
- Process Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- Work/relate to all types of people and levels within and outside organization
- Knowledge of and experience with energetics, and chemical processes
- Capital project justification and implementation experience
- Masters in Engineering
- Familiarity with high volume metallic parts manufacturing assembly
- Hands-on experience with six sigma tools and techniques and lean manufacturing concepts
Physical Requirements : Sitting a majority of the time, with considerable standing and walking when in the plant. Lifting and carrying books, tools, etc. of up to 10 pounds. Some climbing, stooping, kneeling and crouching to effectively observe machinery. Handling for machine assembly and manual dexterity for operating computer keyboard.
Mental Requirements : Good reading skills to understand reports, vendor quotes, literature and educational materials, and ability to read blue prints from support personnel and vendors. Problem-solving, reasoning and attention to detail to design new equipment, improve processes and oversee QIT/CAT Teams. Math comprehension for engineering and financial analysis. Verbal communication for soliciting supervisory and employee opinions, updating supervisors, presenting to groups and participating in teams. Written communication for memos, CER preparation and progress reports. Flexibility and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously. Some supervision of drafting activities and maintenance personnel.
Equipment Used : Personal computer
Working Environment : About 25% spent in manufacturing environment subject to dirt, dust, noise and odors. This setting also means some exposure to moving mechanical parts, machine tool lubricant mists and explosive material. Remaining time is spent in office setting and duties vary between working alone and with or around others. Close contact with manufacturing supervisors and natural work teams.
We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including: medical and dental, vision, disability and life insurance, 401K, PTO, tuition reimbursement, and the ability to add value to an exciting mission!
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veteran/Disabled