Sr Merchant / Sr Buyer
Posted on Nov 15, 2018 by Under Armour
The Senior Merchant will be given a rare opportunity to be part of one of the most focal retail divisions at Under Armour. Passion, desire and integrity are traits we look for in our teammates. This is a key role in the Retail Merchant Team and is accountable for continual success of an owned product category and overseeing a team in a secondary area. You will play a key role in the store product assortments in partnership with the global merchants while partnering with key members of the Retail Team in creating profitable businesses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manage and define a merchandising vision and business strategy for a specific product category while reporting to the Director of Merchandising and part of a vertical team of peer merchants; influence and coach a secondary product vision with a developing product team.
- Oversee and coach another merchant in a smaller business for revenue and personal development success.
- Create and optimize product assortments within Factory House that will maximize potential for revenue and profit.
- Partner and lead a team of cross functional procedure experts assigned to the same category that include a Planning partner, Allocation Analyst, and Visual Merchandising partner.
- Create a merchandising flow calendar that identifies key items, trends, and product launches appropriate to the product category.
- Represent Factory House Retail at the merchandising, marketing and other cross functional category meetings.
- Determine strategy for floor planograms for product placement. Influence collateral needs for product placement and emphasis.
- Analyze sales trends and make recommendations for strategic action.
- Analyze historical sales performances and use as influence in making merchandising strategies for anniversary time periods.
- Foster positive relationships with the stores and getting their feedback and insight as to product needs and consumer reactions to product assortments and items.
- Facilitate and prepare line reviews for product category of responsibility.
Associate Merchant(s), Assistant Merchant(s)
- Consistently produces results at the functional team level
- Accountable for their own execution, and that of their team (where applicable)
- Strong ability to make independent decisions
- Sets and achieves personal and team goals
- Solves problems
- Inspires confidence from their achievements that they will deliver. Done! Done! Done!
- Ensures personal and functional team success in every endeavor
- Management: Hires and helps develop highly capable teammates
- Attracts great talent
- Mentors and coaches teammates through motivation, an approachable style, and walking the talk themselves
- Communicates effectively and assures alignment to the Business Unit's vision
- Creates a sense of urgency
- Lives and inspires the Under Armour Culture throughout the Company
- Lives for the Company values in their everyday interactions
- Commits time and energy to the success of the Company
- Positively represents UA outside of the Company
- Assists in executing on a strategic plan that creates a unique advantage for UA in the marketplace
- Completes complex projects that have significant impact on the Company
- Develops and proposes ideas that support the achievement of UA strategies
- Analyzes and challenges work methods to determine process improvement and better results
- Understands how their function fits into the Company objectives
- Has Leaderships as well as their team's and peer's trust
- Delivers what is promised
- Independent thinker who pushes for what is best for the Company
- Is included in critical decisions as it pertains to their functions
- Provides thinking that is valuable to Senior Leaders and in their organization. Input is sought out
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Excellent leadership and partnership skills.
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills.
- Ability to be part of a team, set challenging standards, develop strong partnerships, and lead others to action.
- Knowledge of Apparel product lines and Under Armour's position within the industry.
- Knowledge or experiences with performance product a plus.
- Ability to communicate product strategies verbally and in writing.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor's degree or related work experience.
- Five years plus merchandising or buying experience in a progressive, high growth retail organization.
At Under Armour, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Under Armour believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.