Venue and Events Manager
Posted on Jun 8, 2022 by Bute Yard
buteyard VENUE AND EVENTS MANAGER
Contracted, Full time - with hours to suit the needs of the business and generally working 5 days over 7. Regular weekend and evening work will be essential to the operation.
Reports to: buteyard Board of Directors
buteyard - who we are
In the heart of Rothesay on the Isle of Bute, the Yard is located behind the Mansion House and opposite Rothesay Castle. This is an ambitious project which delivers the vision of John Bute, 7th Marquess of Bute and is managed by a Board of Directors with family and business representatives.
What we're about…
- A food and drink tourism hub, showcasing Bute produce and craft
- Internal and external spaces for tenant operators; permanent and pop-up locations for developing and growing artisan producers and suppliers
- Distillery, brewery and bar operated by Isle of Bute Gin and Bute Brew, our anchor tenant
- Permanent kitchen space for chef pop ups, residencies, demonstrations, learning and private hire
- Outdoor festival and market space with direct sales to the consumer
- Flexible and accessible indoor events venue for private hire and community use with high-spec audio visual capability
- Commercial, employment and training opportunities
The Venue and Events Manager will be responsible for the effective operation of the venue and will be the buteyard's event delivery expert. The postholder will provide strong leadership, direction and vision across the venue and will be responsible for events programme development and delivery, overview of tenant activities and development of yard business opportunities.
The Venue and Events Manager will be strategically accountable for the profitable growth of venue sales and will have overall responsibility for the operational management of the yard as an exemplar for food tourism, ensuring tenant offerings deliver high quality and customer delight, while growing in profitability and consistency.
The post-holder will also be responsible for health and safety, legal compliance, procurement and supply structures, and the development of these processes to support tenants and nurture new businesses with sustainable and competitive commercial activity across the operation.
- Anticipate visitor expectations and market trends and continually review the business model, product and service offerings to maximise customer experience and profitability.
- Be accountable for the development of operational strategies and delivery plans to ensure that the business exceeds the targets for customer experience, operational delivery and business growth.
- Oversee the development of imaginative products, profitable pricing structures and processes to cater for diverse market segments.
- Raise the profile of buteyard locally and nationally, identifying and leading on food tourism related campaigns, events and awards opportunities.
- Oversee compliance with food safety, health and safety and other legislation. Introduce and embed procedures which will mitigate potential risks of non-compliance at an early stage.
- Oversee all associated training and accreditations; legal representation and legal compliance.
- Build and lead a small operational team and events delivery team by attracting, recruiting, training and appraising talented personnel.
- Develop a staff training plan and supervise delivery of in house and external training.
- Ensure labour establishments are in line with budgets.
Tenant relationships and contract management
- Attract and retain tenants, pop-up operators and residencies in line with overarching Yard strategy.
- Maintain a proactive contract management approach, ensuring partnership development at all times.
- Establish and monitor budgetary targets, service levels, KPI's, schedules, policies and procedures.
- Enforce adherence to legal requirements, industry and company regulations and quality standards.
- Ensure all records are maintained correctly and consistently by routine and spot checks.
- Maintain regular communications including formal quarterly meetings and routine updates to maintain a one team approach communicating targets, aims and objectives, standards required and forthcoming event plans.
- Report routinely to the buteyard Board of Directors on key performance indicators including sales results, productivity, margin management and net profit achievement.
- Ensure income is maximised through efficient purchasing, creative marketing and merchandising.
- Ensure robust procurement practice in both financial and quality delivery, regularly monitoring suppliers and tendering contracts of scale.
- Engage with community groups, stakeholders and other representatives to raise the profile of buteyard on island.
- Ensure buteyard is an events space accessible to all and supports regeneration of the island economy through food tourism
Marketing and communications
- Lead on marketing strategy for buteyard
- Develop social media content planning
- Working to a budget, liaise with third party agencies to develop campaigns, ensuring ROI
- Track campaign effectiveness over time
- Supervise design and production of promotional materials
Qualifications and experience required
- Degree level qualification or equivalent in a relevant discipline
- Minimum of three years' senior management experience in a multiple operations in high volume environment.
- Experience of working within a high-profile hospitality or events venue or visitor experience business.
- A successful record of developing profitable F&B concepts including design, layout, point of sale and service.
- Demonstrable experience of developing and improving a multi-partner F&B business and delivering sustainable profitable growth.
- Proven track record of working at pace, responding to sales performance, handling multiple priorities and consistently delivering against challenging budgets.
- Strong influencing, negotiating and advocacy skills, with the ability to think analytically, independently and strategically; proven ability to develop strategy and fluently translate into operational success.
- Expert knowledge of the food and beverage market with a demonstrable passion for food products and food ingredients including those with a local emphasis.
- Excellent knowledge of supply chain, supplier negotiation and health and safety.
- Creative thinker with senior management business development experience, able to drive change and innovation, spot opportunities and exploit them.
- Advanced H.A.C.C.P. certificate.
- Advanced (Level 4) UK Food Hygiene certificate.
- Personal Alcohol Licence Holder Licensing Act (Scotland) 2005.
- Competent user of Microsoft Office products.
- Valid driving licence.