Project Manager (Climate Action)
Posted on Jun 7, 2022 by British Retail Consortium
Project Manager (Climate Action)
The BRC is looking for an experienced and highly motivated Project Manager with a passion for climate action to take the lead on the BRC's Climate Action Roadmap.
About the BRC
As the trade association for retail businesses, our purpose is to make a positive difference to the retail industry and the customers it serves, today and in the future.
We tell the story of retail by working with our members to drive positive change and use our expertise and influence to create a policy environment that enables retail businesses to thrive and consumers to benefit.
As the UK's largest private sector employer, with a customer base of 67 million people, the retail industry has an important role to play to rapidly decarbonise the global economy.
The industry recognises it has a key part to play in tackling climate change. This is why retailers have come together through the BRC to develop a decarbonisation plan. The Climate Action Roadmap, developed by our members working with climate experts it is one of the most progressive initiatives globally delivering net zero including all products sold by 2040.
The Roadmap describes how the retail industry can decarbonise, while continuing to deliver an outstanding retail experience, through action in five areas:
- Putting greenhouse gas data at the core of business decision making;
- Operating efficient sites powered by renewable energy;
- Moving to low carbon logistics;
- Sourcing sustainably; and
- Helping our employees and customers to live low carbon lifestyles.
The 5 pathways are the forums for our work with members and stakeholders to deliver specific objectives. Commercial partners work with us through these pathways, adding their expertise to support our work and raise revenue for the BRC.
Reporting to the Policy Director - Sustainability, the Project Manager - Climate Action will be responsible for ensuring the delivery of the Climate Action Roadmap by;
- Working with members, partners and BRC colleagues to agree and deliver on the objectives for the 5 pathways.
- Promoting the value of joining the Roadmap to our members, ensuring our current signatories are fully engaged with the Roadmap.
- Maximising the value to BRC members by increasing the number of signatories.
- Securing and managing commercial partners to deliver expertise for the Roadmap.
- Promoting the Roadmap externally to demonstrate progress to a network of key Government and stakeholders contacts.
- Manage the steering group, working with the Chair to provide governance of the Roadmap.
Skills & Experience
The ideal role holder will be;
- A skilled project manager with the ability to plan and deliver this complex initiative
- An interest in climate change, including the drive to net zero and carbon reduction in supply chains
- A self-starter capable of using their initiative to identify where new objectives and opportunities will support members and the BRC in progressing the Roadmap
- Experienced in ensuring collaboration, engagement and facilitation to deliver objectives with members
- Able to demonstrate excellent commercial acumen in attracting new partners, negotiating contracts, and agreeing objectives which align with the Roadmap
- A confident communicator, capable of articulating complex arguments, presenting to large audiences and influencing senior members and officials.
- Able to use effective written communication through email and website to succinctly update members, convey key messages and maintain a vibrant website
- Someone with the gravitas and confidence to influence a range of stakeholders
- Effective in building a strong and influential network of contacts
- A trusted and pro-active team player, supporting team colleagues in driving a culture of continual improvement.
Pay & Benefits
We are offering a competitive salary with an excellent range of employee benefits, including a medical cash plan, private medical insurance, bike scheme & exercise allowance and investment in your professional development as well as a range of health & wellbeing programmes.
Ways of Working
The BRC has a very flexible hybrid working policy based on trust and respecting work life balance that will allow colleagues to shape their work week with blend of remote and office working. We have a fantastic new office in the Seven Dials area near Covent Garden for when you need it. We will be happy to discuss your preferences during the recruitment process.
- Application closing date: 30 th June 2022
If you have not received any feedback within 14 days of your application, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion. May we thank you for your interest and wish you every success in your ongoing job search.
We aim to be an equal opportunities employer and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown.