Director, Global Public Relations
Posted on Nov 14, 2018 by Subway
Be a part of the Subway(R) Group - the world's largest quick service restaurant franchisor and recognized leader in the Quick Service industry. With more than 44,400 restaurants in over 113 countries we continue to add talent to our team at our global headquarters in Milford, Connecticut.
The Director of Global Public Relations position will define strategic direction to develop, implement, and manage external communications efforts for the global Subway brand.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for managing proactive and reactive Public and Media Relations for the Global Subway Brand
- Responsible for information to the public and/or news media from the brand, globally.
- Capture and share impactful media coverage about the brand and its people
- Manage and amplify social content to ensure the brand attributes and human-interest stories define the backbone of the brand.
- Secure impactful media coverage.
- Continually define and refine process that protect the brand from incidents and risk associated with media.
- Serve on the cross functional incident management team
- Proactively identify opportunities to support organizational initiatives and develop materials and programs to promote and publicize these activities.
- Build and foster relationships with various publics including media, members of the community, partners, public affairs offices, non-governmental organizations, consumer advocacy groups, etc.
- Develop messaging framework that supports business goals, and media train executives and subject matter experts.
- Proactively advise the Regional Directors, Marketing and NA PR teams on key community issues, potential crisis situations and best practices.
- Determine PR needs of each business unit and region and manage and assist in hiring strategic PR staff and/or outside agencies to ensure goals and KPIs are met
- Monitor media coverage of the restaurant/food/consumer sector to be able to anticipate trends, issues, and opportunities.
- Measure impact of work and communicate results.
- Define brand standards for research, writing, and/or edit communications materials, including (but not limited to) press releases, pitches, fact sheets, Q&As, briefing materials, press quotes, talking points, key messages, emails, social media posts, and presentations.
- Work collaboratively with multiple teams including Marketing, Advertising, Customer Care, CSR, and Communications.
- Manage the Global PR staff, guide and coach regional staffs and agencies to ensure goals are met
- Work closely with corporate communications, social media and marketing teams to ensure content alignment
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor's degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, or related field.
- Minimum of 10+ years of experience in Corporate Communications/Public Relations in a corporate or agency environment; must have a proven track record in all aspects of securing and managing high quality/high volume media coverage.
- Exceptional writing skills (technical, creative, effective).
- Passionate about learning about the business, marketplace, and building relationships across the business.
- Proven ability to handle sensitive issues and crises under pressure and provide sound counsel to management.
- Self-motivated, proactive, and hardworking, with strong problem solving, creative thinking, and interpersonal skills.
- Professional demeanor with the ability to work with a variety of stakeholders from Sandwich Artists to the CEO.
- Can define a strategic multi-year framework for PR as it relates to SUBWAY.
The successful candidate may also have:
- Experience working with global organizations.
- Experience working with QSR or fast casual chain restaurants and/or franchise model businesses.
- Team player with the ability to work with a diverse team operating internationally.
- Collaborate with senior leader across the organization to support a variety of communications needs, including company news, product launches, speaking opportunities and thought leadership.
- Working knowledge of social media and emerging channels.
- Working knowledge of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) principles and regional hot button issues.