Software Technical Lead - London
Posted on Jun 6, 2022 by Selfridges
We are transforming our Selfridges digital platform using the latest technologies such as React, Node / Typescript, AWS Services and have an exciting opportunity for a Engineer Team Leader to join our rapidly expanding agile teams based in our London office.
Your vision and goal will contribute to shaping our online technology and influence our future technical direction. You will take pride in the robust code you deliver your team.
- Designing and delivering scalable, distributed, cloud-based systems in a highly available manner.
- Ensure the engineering team is fully aware of and aligned to the team goals.
- Organise and inspire tech design and high-level scoping sessions while working closely with the team on best ways forward.
- Working closely with other teams especially when working on cross team initiatives.
- Coaching and mentoring engineers with a testing mindset.
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and help introduce them where appropriate.
- Maintain high standards of software quality within the team by establishing good practices and processors.
- Look for areas of improvement across the platform and create strategies
A bit about you
Great engineering - It's so much more than writing great code. As well as an excellent knowledge of software with a test-first approach, you'll have great design and architectural knowledge.
Coaching - You're highly proactive, you take ownership of problems and propose solutions. You can mentor and coach all levels of engineering using your knowledge and experience to drive improvements across the team.
Lean delivery - you deliver rapidly in small batches, reducing risk and creating a fast feedback loop.
- Deep knowledge of a high-level programming language - but it doesn't need to be a language that we use here. Great engineers learn quickly and are keen to adopt new languages.
- Worked with CI/CD tooling and responsibly running solutions in production, working with logging, monitoring and alerting stacks.
- You've previously led software engineering teams.
- Experience in continuous Integration, delivery, and deployment through pipelines.
- An advocate of coding best practices such as TDD, SOLID and pair programming and enjoy working in an agile environment to help us grow and improve.
This guide represents a summary of the role, however all team members are expected to be flexible in the work they undertake, which may change from time to time, according to the needs of the business.
A bit about us
Our Creative Spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our Awards Cabinet
We're not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World's Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham - alongside and the Selfridges App - continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
Everyone is welcome
We are committed to a diverse and inclusive working culture, and we see this as key to our success and our working culture. Here at Selfridges, everyone is welcome - irrespective of race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, age or disability, we stand by equal opportunities for all. We are diverse, we are inclusive, we are Selfridges.
The Fun Stuff?
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges - from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
- Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Pension contributions
- Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
- A volunteer day for all team members
- Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development